He’s Glad to be Back Home

After spending almost two decades in the corporate world, Dr. Kanton Reynolds (Class of ‘95) has returned to the ISE Department as the new Director of Undergraduate Programs. It is a place that is very near and dear to him and one that he considers home. “I really want to start working on and solving technical problems again,” explains Dr. Reynolds. “This position gives me the opportunity to do both and still contribute to the growth and development of the next generation of NC State industrial and systems engineers.”

LEADING THE UNDERGRAD PROGRAM

Along with helping students to achieve their career goals, Dr. Reynolds wants to improve the number of students from marginalized academic backgrounds as well as develop a diverse pipeline of minority students who take an interest in ISE. He shares how he plans to turn to recent graduates for help in growing the department. “I want to cultivate an environment where younger alumni contribute to the growth and development of our current students through mentoring and coaching.”

Dr. Reynolds thinks on both a global as well as locally when it comes to setting goals for the undergrad program. “I plan to continue to expand the study abroad options for our students,” confides Dr. Reynolds. “I love to travel and have been to over 50 countries so I am a big proponent of the benefits of study abroad and using engineering acumen to solve challenges in developing countries.”

On the local level, he plans to refine the senior design course so that it serves not only as a capstone for the curriculum but also as a transitional course from college to corporate for our students. “I want to expand the number and types of companies that we partner with on the senior design course,” said Dr. Reynolds. “This will provide access to a wider variety of industries and applications that are appealing to our students.”

NC STATE SPORTS FAN

Dr. Reynolds is quick to share his love for Wolfpack athletics. “I am a big NC State sports fan,” he proclaims. “I have both season football and men’s basketball tickets. I occasionally attend women’s basketball games as well.” Along with watching ISE senior AJ Cole III do the punting for NC State’s football team, he will be able to enjoy watching several of his other male and female students take part in swimming, track and field, cross country, and cheerleading. Dr. Reynolds isn’t just a spectator, he also a participant. “I am a certified open water scuba diver!”