Shirwaiker Selected as 2024 IISE Fellow

The James T. Ryan Professor Rohan Shirwaiker has been honored with the 2024 IISE Fellow Award. This award recognizes his outstanding contributions to technical innovation and service within the IISE community. This esteemed award underscores his exceptional achievements as a researcher in industrial engineering.

Described as a rising star in his profession, Shirwaiker’s journey to becoming an IISE Fellow is marked by his exceptional qualities and accomplishments. Reha Uzsoy, the Clifton A. Anderson Distinguished Professor, noted, ”Rohan’s willingness to take active roles in leadership, service and mentoring is a lesson to us all; he is somebody who raises the level of all he comes into contact with.” Shirwaiker’s ability to excel across all areas of responsibility sets him apart from others in his field.

Shirwaiker’s research prowess is exemplified by his innovative work in regenerative medical engineering. He has made several innovative discoveries and contributions to work in regenerative medicine. He has also worked with numerous international groups like the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine (WFIRM) and the Center for Life Science Automation (CELISCA).

“Without my peers, I wouldn’t be where I am today,” Shirwaiker emphasizes. “I’m grateful to my numerous students, colleagues, and family members who have been pivotal in shaping my career and achievements.” His dedication to serving and mentoring has made a significant impression on the IISE community. ISE Department Head Julie Swann shares her delight in Shirwaiker’s success, saying, “I take pride in Rohan’s inclusion in the ranks, and I eagerly anticipate the increased recognition this brings for him and the university.”