The following is a list of the most common questions concerning both our undergraduate and graduate degrees.



  • Students should seek help from ISE advisors via e-mail or Many advising questions can be handled quickly via e-mail.
  • If an in-person advising appointment is absolutely necessary, students can sign up for an advising appointment using Google calendars. To schedule an advising appointment, go to our Advising Page.
  • New masters students should contact Dr. Michael Kay and new Ph.D. students should contact their interim advisor Dr. Yahya Fathi Current graduate students who are unsure of their advisor should contact the ISE Graduate office,

  • YES, it is required starting with the freshman class entering in the Fall of 2017 and each cohort moving forward.

  • The student should consider taking MA 341 – Differential Equations.
  • It is not the preferred option as MA 303 better prepares students for ISE 361 and ISE 362, but it is feasible and acceptable.

  • Students should consider taking EC 201 – Principles of Microeconomics or ARE 201 – Agricultural Economics if EC 205 is not available.

  • ISE 215/216 and ISE 315/316 are paired courses using the other as a co-requisite and should be taken in tandem.
  • If students have credit for ISE 215 after taking GC 120 then they should consult with their advisor or the Director of Undergraduate Programs for further assistance.

  • Students should always follow the course sequence as listed in the degree audit.
  • If students transfer in from another curriculum and have taken ST 370 instead of ST 371, they have two options:
    1. They can take ST 312 which has been recommended by the Statistics Department as the follow-up course for ST 370. They will receive credit for the pair in lieu of ST 371 and 372, but they will not be as prepared for some ISE courses that utilize statistical methods including ISE 443 (Quality Design & Control) or the ISE 4/589 (Special Topics in Data Analytics for IE’s).
    2. They can request an override into ST 372 with the understanding that they are responsible for learning any and all content associated with ST 371 that is not covered in ST 370. In particular, ST 371 is almost entirely probability, whereas ST 370 is almost all statistical methods. ST 372 depends heavily on the probability material so students taking the courses out of sequence will be at a disadvantage.

  • Students should fill out the course request form indicating why it is imperative that they be enrolled in the course and what the alternative options are based on the classes left to complete toward degree progress.
  • The form should then be sent to the Director of Undergraduate Programs for disposition.
  • Graduate students should contact the ISE Graduate office, or the instructor of the course.

  • The student should not attempt to enroll in ISE 495 without a faculty sponsor.
  • Once they secure a sponsor and the deliverables for the project have been outlined, they need to turn the appropriate form into the Director – Undergraduate Programs for approval.

  • The student should not attempt to enroll in ISE 495 without a faculty sponsor.
  • The Approved ISE Technical Electives web page has a list of both the permanent and rotating technical electives (by semester).
  • Please note that students should NOT take MA 405 as a technical elective as it is no longer allowed by the department.
  • Also, keep in mind that not all ISE 589 Special Topics Courses count as technical electives either.
  • Again, consult the technical electives web page for the most recent updates.

  • That decision is at the student’s discretion, but the most popular courses taken (in no order) are:
    • CE 215 Engineering Mechanics/Dynamics
    • CE 225 Mechanics of Solids
    • MAE 201 Engineering Thermodynamics I
    • MAE 208 Engineering Dynamics
    • MAE 214 Solid Mechanics
    • MAE 308 Fluid Mechanics

  • CE 214 is a requirement for some of the other electives and should be taken as early as possible in the student’s academic career.
  • In addition, course like ECE 331, MSE 200 and the engineering science elective are to provide a well-rounded understanding of other engineering disciplines as well as the ability to conform to ABET requirements.

  • Details of the program are on the Accelerated Bachelor/Master (ABM) webpage.
  • The ABM degree has several milestones. Students cannot apply until they accrue 75 credit hours but no more than 96 credit hours.
  • Students must have a 3.5 GPA and fill out the appropriate form for signatures by both the department’s Directors of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies.

  • ISE 520 has no 1:1 replacement in the undergraduate curriculum.
  • It can count as a “graduate course” (students are allowed 6 hours of “graduate courses”), but it cannot be listed as an undergrad course that is taken for ABM credit due to ABET requirements.

  • Students should enroll in E 490.

  • The tracks are suggested listings of courses that pair well with the intended track.
  • They are not compulsory and can be mixed and matched by students so long as the prerequisites are satisfied.

  • Students should have NON-NC State courses PREAPPROVED PRIOR to the Study Abroad experience to receive credit.
  • The requisite form is available on the NC State Study Abroad webpage and should be submitted to the Director – Undergraduate Programs for approval.

Study Abroad Credits and Transfer Credits

Study Abroad Approval Form

  • Statistics
  • Business Administration
  • Economics
  • Physics
  • Computer Programming
  • Spanish

  • Students should fill out the Course Substitution Form and submit it to the Director – Undergraduate Programs for review.
  • Graduate students who would like an exception in their Plan of Work, contact the Director of Graduate Programs Dr. Yahya Fathi

  • Consider taking PHI 214 – Business Ethics. The ISE department (ONLY) will accept this as a suitable replacement.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.

Registration and Holds

  • Check the university registration calendar for official dates
  • ISE holds group advising sessions beginning the week after fall break and spring break.
  • Times and locations of the sessions are posted on monitors in the building and on details will be announced via e-mails.
  • New masters students should contact Dr. Michael Kay and new Ph.D. students should contact their interim advisor Dr. Yahya Fathi Current graduate students who are unsure of their advisor should contact the ISE Graduate office,

  • Prepare the necessary advising paperwork as directed, Academic Advisement Form.
  • Late advising is done at the convenience of the ISE academic advisers.
  • Graduate students must see their advisor for the Advisement Term Hold to be released.

  • You are trying to register before your enrollment date.
  • Check My Pack for your enrollment day and time.

  • Prerequisites are enforced for all ISE courses, see the course catalog to review prerequisites.
  • Any student who meets a prerequisite for an ISE course with a transfer course that has not yet appeared on his/her degree audit may contact Kanton Reynolds | | 919.515.2362 or Jason Low | | 919.515.1424 for help with registration (must provide proof, such as an unofficial transcript.
  • Students with special circumstances may appeal to the ISE undergraduate advisory committee. A student requesting any exception to an ISE rule or regulation must do so in writing and submit the request and a copy of the degree audit from My Pack to the ISE Director of Undergraduate Programs, Dr. Kanton Reynolds, in 441-B Daniels Hall.

  • When there are open seats in a course that are reserved for specific majors, you may attend class the first day and ask the instructor for permission to have one of the restricted seats. If the instructor grants permission, use a schedule revision form to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from the College of Engineering located in Page Hall. This form requires the instructor’s signature.
  • If the course restriction says departmental approval required, you may contact the instructor to find out who in the department can grant permission (permission must come from the department teaching the class).

  • First, get on the wait list if you can. Note that wait lists are closed the first day of class and deleted on the last day to add a class.
  • Attend the first day and see if there is room and the instructor is willing to take extra students into the class.
  • For non-ISE courses, if the instructor grants permission, a schedule revision form can be used to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from the College of Engineering located in Page Hall.
  • For ISE courses, contact the instructor. The instructor may contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds who can grant permission for you to be added to the class.
  • It is not recommended that students contact the instructor before classes begin about getting into a full class.

  • No. Only administrators in the department offering a course can add or remove students from classes in that department.

Determine what kind of hold you have, they fall into 4 main categories and the error message should give you an idea of which type of hold you have:

  • Advising/registration hold: Follow the ISE advising instructions.
  • Academic warning hold: Complete an Academic Advisement Form and bring it to your adviser.
  • Non-payment/cashier’s office hold: Late payments for tuition or student health services. Payment must be made to the University Cashier’s office before the hold can be released.
  • Student conduct hold: Academic integrity or student conduct violation. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.

Degree Progress and Minors

  • All engineering students are required to take seven humanity/social science courses (21 credit hours total) from several different categories.
  • For ISE students, you must also take an additional engineering ethics course.
  • Humanity/social science GEP courses must be taken for a grade.
  • The list of approved courses depends on the curriculum. Your degree audit will be the most accurate resource of approved GEP courses which are tied to your start date at NC State.

  • The most popular non-humanity minors for ISE students are graphic communications, math, and statistics.
  • Computer programming is a good minor for ISE.
  • A minor in business administration is helpful for students who plan to get an MBA.
  • Some ISE students minor in a foreign language.
  • For more information about minors, visit Academic Advising Services.

  • Fill out a Minor Declaration Form and bring it to your minor adviser, who will approve and send it to Registration & Records.
  • The minor audit will appear under “Degree Audit” in My Pack and will be designated on your official transcript at the same time your degree is conferred.
  • Learn about minors and their requirements including the minor advisor information here:
  • Ph.D. or MSIE students must declare a minor. They will complete the Minor Plan portion of their Plan of Work. MIE students do not have a minor. Please see Ph.D., MSIE, and MIE Degree Requirements pages.

  • Use your degree audit as your guide for planning courses.
  • If you want to deviate from the suggested sequence of courses in the degree audit, be sure you will meet prerequisites for future courses.
  • Industrial engineering course offerings are more frequent. Most 200-, 300-, and some 400-level ISE courses are offered two times a year.
  • Take advantage of the plan of work feature in My Pack to plan out all of your courses.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.

Schedule and Classes

  • Students are not required to come to campus for distance education courses, except for some exams. Exam accommodations can be made for students out of state.
  • Distance education tuition varies depending on the session in which the course is taken. Check the University Cashier’s Office website for pricing:
  • Distance education courses meet curriculum requirements the same as regular courses.
  • Some on-campus courses are listed as “internet” courses. These ARE NOT distance education courses; they are regular courses that will be administered online. They will be billed as regular courses.
  • On-campus graduate students may not take distance courses in the Fall or Spring semesters, but may take one in the Summer semester. They must set up an online account in order to register. For assistance, contact the ISE Graduate office,

  • ISE course offerings during summers are dependent on instructor availability and student demand. If no instructor is available or demand for a course is low, it will not be offered.

  • Yes. Students may register for up to 21 credit hours by completing a Course Load Waiver Form and having it signed by their academic adviser.
  • Graduate students may take 15 credit hours in the Fall or Spring semesters. Students who wanted to take more must seek the approval of the Director of Graduate Programs and fill out the necessary forms for the Graduate School, College of Engineering, and Registration and Records.

  • Deadlines for adding/dropping courses can be found here
  • Late course additions must be approved by the instructor of the course and the College of Engineering. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course.
  • Late course drops are permitted only under certain extenuating circumstances. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course. The form must be accompanied by a letter of explanation addressed to Dr. Dave Parish, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, justifying the request and supporting documentation (doctor’s notes, counseling center notes, etc.).
  • Students who have a legitimate reason for dropping a course after the deadline should first consult the University Counseling Center.
  • The university policy on late drops (withdrawals) can be found here
  • Schedule revision forms can be acquired from the College of Engineering located in Page Hall.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.

Course Credit and Grading

  • First, check the list of pre-approved transfer courses for NC Community Colleges or other colleges/universities. If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalence.
  • You must provide a complete syllabus, textbook list, and graded coursework (if the course has been completed already) for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.
  • Contact Dr. Alice Forgety: or Brian Koehler (study abroad students): in 120 Page Hall for help locating departmental representatives who can evaluate your transfer course.
  • To transfer your course to NCSU, have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

  • The university allows only two repeats of the same course if a grade of C- or lower is earned.
  • Students must receive permission from Dr. Dave Parish, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, to take a course for the third time.
  • Courses in which a grade of C or better is earned cannot be repeated.

  • E115 and PE courses can be taken for credit only.
  • All other courses, including general education requirements, must be graded.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.

Academic Warnings and Suspension

  • Log into My Pack and view your Degree Audit.
  • Click on Total Units in the top right corner of the Degree Audit.
  • Academic standing is shown at the bottom of the Total Units page.

  • Bring a copy of an Academic Advisement Form to your academic advisor. Be sure to fill out the top box before you come.
  • Leave your form at the ISE undergraduate office (Daniels 410).
  • Failure to follow these steps will result in a hold on your account that prevents registration for the next semester.

  • Progress toward degree warning means you are not progressing in your degree as required by the university (e.g., taking too many non-curriculum courses, repeating courses too many times, poor grades, etc.).
  • Students who receive a progress toward degree warning e-mail should schedule a meeting with their adviser as soon as possible [e-mail] to develop an agreement and plan of work for improvement.
  • Students who do not show improvement after one semester or fail to meet with their adviser will be expelled from the ISE department and switched to the non-degree studies (NDS) program.
  • The university policy on progress toward degree can be found here

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.2362 or Yahya Fathi (graduate) | | 919.515.6417.

Internships and Co-ops

  • A co-op is a structured, university approved work program designed to allow students to alternate semesters of school and paid work in their field of study. During semesters of work, students enroll in a zero credit co-op class (COP ***) that allows them to maintain continuous enrollment. Co-op generally requires one extra year in school to complete the program, and the time spent working can be applied toward a professional engineering license. For more information about co-op, visit the co-op website. Students should apply for the co-op program after they have matriculated.
  • An internship is a short-term job in the student’s field of study. Students normally apply for internships on their own, just like a regular job. Most students who choose to intern do so during the summer. Since there is no internship program offered through the university, a student who interns during a regular semester is considered withdrawn from school and must reapply to return the next semester. This can be avoided by taking at least one course from NC State while interning, on-campus or via distance education (non-ISE courses only). Internships CANNOT be applied toward a professional engineering license. Students may intern any time.

  • Course credit cannot be awarded for paid internships or jobs.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.


  • Apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester or summer session in which you are completing the last courses you need to complete your curriculum requirements.
  • There are two steps for graduation check-out:
    1. Submit a graduation request in My Pack
    2. Fill out a graduation form, which will be provided by the ISE Undergraduate Office.
  • When the necessary forms have been submitted, you will receive e-mail communications from the university and department about graduation-related details.
  • Graduate students apply to graduate in MyPack Portal. The ISE Graduate office will contact you with further information.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.


  • Students should visit the College of Engineering scholarship web page to apply for all COE and ISE scholarships.
  • ISE and COE scholarships are awarded only to matriculated students.
  • About 15% of ISE students received some type of COE or ISE scholarship.
  • Odds of receiving a scholarship vary by year. GPA (overall and major), financial need, personal statement, and classification are strongly weighted in the awarding process.
  • Availability of funds determines the number and amount of new scholarships awarded each year.

  • If you are doing well in your classes and have time for outside activities, then undergraduate research may be for you. It is an excellent experience that prepares you for higher education.
  • The best way to get started is to look through the faculty profile pages and the ISE research pages. Then, select faculty who work on research topics of interest to you, and meet with them to discuss their undergraduate research opportunities.
  • Opportunities may also be announced in the weekly ISE e-mail blast.

  • Please submit the request at least two days in advance of the event.

Can’t find your answer? Please contact Dr. Kanton Reynolds (undergraduate) | | 919.515.0605 or Amy Roosje (graduate) | | 919.515.6410.