Undergraduate Course Credit and Grading FAQ
- First, check the list of pre-approved transfer courses for NC Community Colleges or other colleges/universities. If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalence.
- You must provide a complete syllabus, textbook list, and graded coursework (if the course has been completed already) for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.
- Contact Dr. Kim Roberts: firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian Koehler (study abroad students): email@example.com for help locating departmental representatives who can evaluate your transfer course.
- To transfer your course to NC State, have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
- You cannot register for a class using the transfer course to satisfy a prerequisite until that credit appears on your transcript. Please keep in mind that there may be a delay in posting incoming grades to your transcript. You should work with the educational provider to ensure that it is received at NC State in timely fashion.
- E115 and PE courses can be taken for credit only.
- All other courses, including general education requirements, must be graded.
- Place out exams are offered at the discretion of each department. Contact the academic adviser for the department of interest to find out if and how you can attempt a place out:
- Math: Jeffrey Scroggs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Physics: John Blondin, email@example.com
- Chemistry: Phil Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graphics Communications (GC): Alice Scales, email@example.com
- ISE: Kanton Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are only eligible for place out exams if you have never attempted the course before at a college level.
- E 115 place out: Credit by Examination.
- University policy on credit by examination http://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-02-50-01.
- Watch the video, NC State Grade Exclusion.
- Visit this link for information about the grade exclusion policy; http://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-02-20-16. Download the Grade Exclusion Form.
- You may exclude grades (C- or lower) in up to two courses at any level.
- First-year retakes count as exclusions.
- Drop the grade exclusion form off for an adviser’s signature, then take it to the Office of Registration and Records.
- The University allows only two repeats of the same course if a grade of C- or lower is earned.
- Students must receive permission from the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, to take a course for the third time.
- Courses in which a grade of C or better is earned cannot be repeated.
Can’t find your answer? Please contact our Undergraduate Services Coordinator at email@example.com | 919.513.2189.
Want to Look up Another FAQ?