Advisory Board Chair Notes | October 2019

It is a genuine honor for me to serve as chair of the ISE Advisory Board for 2019-20. But before I tell you about myself, I would like to thank Joe Pleasants for serving as the board’s chair this past year. I know I speak for everyone when I say, “Thank you, Joe.”

I received my bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering 46 years ago, in 1973 and have served on the ISE Advisory Board since 2013. It makes me proud to say that one of my sons also graduated from the College of Engineering and that a grandson has come to NC State to be an engineer.

It’s exciting to see the Department continuing to strengthen its diversity while recruiting the top students and faculty members. In November, ISE will hold its Second Annual Graduate Student Recruitment Event. The three-day event is an opportunity for potential students to visit campus to learn about current research and to experience the quality of our graduate program.

The walls, windows, and doors are up and the excitement continues to build as the construction of Fitts-Woolard Hall is on schedule for its grand opening this summer. Fitts-Woolard Hall will be one of the most dynamic research and education environments in the world, giving ISE a competitive advantage in recruiting the best and brightest students and faculty members to NC State.

I encourage everyone who has an interest in industrial and systems engineering at NC State to find a way to get connected. If you haven’t been to campus in a while, make a point to do so. Perhaps a nostalgic visit to Daniels Hall, Park Shops, or Riddick Hall would be meaningful, and Homecoming is always a great time to come back to campus.

GO PACK!

Larry A. Bowman, BSIE 1973