- Partners & Outreach
Fitts Fellow in Biomedical ManufacturingOffice phone: (919) 513-0220
Office fax: (919) 515-1543
Office location: 126-A Daniels Hall
PhD, University of Central Florida, 2001
MSIE, University of Central Florida, 1997
BSIE, Dala University, Sweden, 1995
Ola Harrysson joined the ISE department in January of 2002 and is teaching courses related to product development, manufacturing processes, additive manufacturing and biomodeling. Most of his research involves additive manufacturing, specifically the medical applications. Dr. Harrysson is in charge of the Additive Manufacturing Laboratory (AML) in the ISE department which houses the first Electron Beam Melting (EBM) machine in the world. AML is currently involved in both aerospace and medical related research as well as providing faculty and students with prototyping services. Most of the aerospace related research involves process and material development for the EBM systems while the medical research is concentrated on custom design and direct metal fabrication of novel implants. Dr. Harrysson has been working for over 10 years with his colleague, Denis Marcellin-Little, who is an orthopedic surgeon at the College of Veterinary Medicine, developing new and innovative implant solutions. The two have pioneered the area of Transdermal Osseointegrated Prosthetics, which is a type of a prosthetic limb that is directly attached to the bone in the stump instead of using an external socket. Dr. Harrysson is also the academic advisor to our student chapter of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, SME.
Areas of Interest
Medical and aerospace applications of additive manufacturing, custom design and fabrication of biomedical implants, medical devices, rehabilitation engineering, and regenerative medicine.
- Srisawadi, S., Cormier, D., Harrysson, O., & Modak, S. (2012). Computational design of electrode networks for preferentially aligned short fiber composite component fabrication via dielectrophoresis. International Journal of CAD/CAM, 11 (2), 00~00.
- Yang, L., Harrysson, O., West, H., & Cormier, D. (2012). Compressive properties of Ti-6Al-4V auxetic mesh structures made by Electron Beam Melting. Acta Materialia, 60, 3370-3379. Available online at www.sciencedirect.com.
- Kumar, V., Cormier, D., & Harrysson, O. (2012). Electrical conductivity of hexagonal periodic lattice structures. Virtual & Physical Prototyping, 7 (1), 81-90.
- Little, J.P., Horn, T.J., Marcellin-Little, D.J., Harrysson, O., & West II, H.A. (2012). Development and validation of a replica of the canine radius for mechanical testing of orthopedic implants. Am J Vet Res, 73 (1).
- Fitzwater, K.L., Marcellin-Little, D.J., Harrysson, O., Osborne, J.A., & Poindexter, E.C. (2011). Influence of radiation dose and freeform fabrication method on biomodeling accuracy. Am J Vet Res, 72, 1178-1185.
- Haslauer, C.M., Springer, J., Harrysson, O., Loboa, E.G., Monteiro-Riviere, N.A., Marcellin-Little, D.J. (2010). In vitro biocompatibility of titanium alloy discs made using direct metal fabrication. Medical Engineering & Physics, 32, 645-652.