David Kaber is the ISE Department Head at the University of Florida in Gainsville.
Visiting Professor (2011 – present) Khon Kaen University, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
Associate Faculty (2010 – present) NCSU, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Associate Faculty (2010 – present) NCSU, Department of Psychology, Raleigh, North Carolina.
Visiting Professor (2004-Present) University of Rostock (URO), College of Informatics and Electrical Engineering, Institute for Automation, Rostock, Germany.
Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
Texas Tech University
Master of Science in Industrial Engineering
University of Central Florida
University of Central Florida
Adaptive automation design, human-automation interaction in life sciences, human-robot interaction in healthcare, aviation human factors and cockpit display design, virtual reality simulation for motor skill training, measuring and modeling driver distraction and situation awareness, and ergonomics-related risk factor identification and measurement in physical work tasks.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2011
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 2013
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2014
- Editor-in-Chief, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2015
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial Engineering, 2015
- A usability assessment of riding lawn-mowing equipment with varying levels of design standards compliance
- Deng, Y., Shirley, J., Rose, T., Geary, L., Feltner, D., Chen, K., … Kaber, D. B. (2019), APPLIED ERGONOMICS, 78, 76–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2019.02.003
- Application of Cognitive Task Performance Modeling for Assessing Usability of Transradial Prostheses
- Zahabi, M., White, M. M., Zhang, W., Winslow, A. T., Zhang, F., Huang, H., & Kaber, D. B. (2019), IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON HUMAN-MACHINE SYSTEMS, 49(4), 381–387. https://doi.org/10.1109/THMS.2019.2903188
- Smartphone-based systems for physical rehabilitation applications: A systematic review
- Moral-Munoz, J. A., Zhang, W., Cobo, M. J., Herrera-Viedma, E., & Kaber, D. B. (2019), ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400435.2019.1611676
- A Comparison of Virtual Reality-Based Psychomotor Task Training with Visual and Haptic Aiding
- Ma, W., Kaber, D., Gil, G.-H., Clamann, M., Jeon, W., Zhu, B., & Currie, N. (2018), In ADVANCES IN HUMAN FACTORS IN TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND LEARNING SCIENCES, AHFE 2017 (Vol. 596, pp. 265–277). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60018-5_26
- A conceptual framework of autonomous and automated agents
- Kaber, D. B. (2018), Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 19(4), 406–430. https://doi.org/10.1080/1463922x.2017.1363314
- An Integration of Cognitive Task Analysis Results for Situation Awareness-Focused Training Program Development
- Kaber, D. B., Green, R. S., & Swangnetr, M. (2018), In ADVANCES IN HUMAN FACTORS IN ROBOTS AND UNMANNED SYSTEMS (Vol. 595, pp. 161–172). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60384-1_16
- Driving Performance, Adaptation, and Cognitive Workload Costs of Logo Panel Detection as Mediated by Driver Age
- Lau, M. Y., & Kaber, D. (2018), In ADVANCES IN HUMAN ASPECTS OF TRANSPORTATION (Vol. 597, pp. 775–786). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60441-1_74
- Effect of police mobile computer terminal interface design on officer driving distraction
- Zahabi, M., & Kaber, D. (2018), Applied Ergonomics, 67, 26–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2017.09.006
- Identification of task demands and usability issues in police use of mobile computing terminals
- Zahabi, M., & Kaber, D. (2018), Applied Ergonomics, 66, 161–171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2017.08.013
- Issues in human-automation interaction modeling: Presumptive aspects of frameworks of types and levels of automation
- Kaber, D. B. (2018), Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 12(1), 7–24. https://doi.org/10.1177/1555343417737203