Minor in Data Science, Analytics and Decision-Making
The Data Science Academy collaborates with several NC State colleges to develop data science minors and certificates. The Minor of Data Science in Analytics and Decision-Making is a 15-credit interdisciplinary credential that offers you a path towards developing essential skills in data science with depth in Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) content. Pursuing this minor will give you the opportunity to learn from data science instructors, practitioners and ISE faculty in industry and academia alongside their peers from various colleges. You will pursue courses in data management, communication, applications, ethics, engineering, and more, in addition to choosing from electives of interest.
- ISE majors and minors cannot count the following courses towards the data science minor:
- ISE 135
- ISE 361
- If you are pursuing multiple Data Science Academy credentials, you must have at least two distinct 1-credit DSC courses and two distinct 3-credit depth courses between any two credentials (8 distinct credits total).
- Per university requirements, courses already used to satisfy two or more credit requirements cannot be used to satisfy the data science certificate (or any third requirement).
Required DSC Courses (6 credit hours)
- Required DSC Courses: At least one course from each category. Required Depth Courses: 3 courses.
- DSC 202 Introduction to Data Visualization
- DSC 205 Data Communication
Ethics, Policy and Privacy
- DSC 225 Data Science for Social Good
Data Management and Analysis
- DSC 406 Exploratory Data Analysis for Big Data
- DSC 205 Data Communication
Machine Learning and AI
- DSC 412 Exploring Machine Learning
Electives or Internships & Capstones
- DSC 201 Introduction to R/Python for Data Science
- DSC 405 Data Wrangling and Web Scraping
- DSC 410 Data Internship Preparation for Social Impact (ISE PRO TIP: You cannot count DSC 201 and ISE 135 towards the minor.)
- Permanent DSC courses not listed here and not used for the first four categories can be used to satisfy the elective or internships/capstones requirement. Visit the Upcoming Courses website to see all DSC Courses.
Required Depth Courses (9 credit hours)
- BAE 495 R Coding for Data Management and Analysis
- ECE 411 Introduction to Machine Learning
- ISE 135 Computer-based Modeling for Engineers (ISE PRO TIP: You cannot count DSC 201 and ISE 135 towards the minor.)
- ISE 361 Deterministic Models in Industrial Engineering (ISE PRO TIP: This course requires ISE 135 or Instructor permission and DSC 201 or Instructor permission and introductory knowledge of Python programming.)
- ISE 417 Database Applications in Industrial and Systems Engineering
- ISE435 Python Programming for Industrial and Systems Engineers
- ISE 437 Data Analytics for Industrial Engineering
- ISE 447 Applications of Data Science in Healthcare