- 414A | 111 Lampe Drive
Yuan-Shin Lee serves as the Director of the Smart Manufacturing Innovation Center (SMIC) at NC State University. The SMIC Center is to link manufacturers, industrial technology vendors, systems integrators and equipment providers with academia, demonstrating and driving research and innovation that scales to all of US manufacturing.
Dr. Lee has been a professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering at NC State University since 1995. He is a registered professional engineer (PE) in mechanical engineering. He is also a certified manufacturing engineer in system integration and control. Dr. Lee received the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award. He also received the 1997 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award from the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), the 1998 Norman Dudley Award from the Taylor & Francis Journals, London, U.K., the 1999 C.A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, the 2000 Alumni Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award from NC State University, the 2001 ALCOA Foundation Engineering Research Achievement Award, the 2006 Technical Innovation Award from IIE, the 2007 IIE Fellow Award, the 2008 ASME Fellow Award, and the 2012 CAD Best Paper Award.
Dr. Lee is a Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) and a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Dr. Lee earlier served as a Department Editor for IIE Transactions, and an Associate Editor for the Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Applications, the International Journal of Mechtronics and Manufacturing Systems (IJMMS), the Journal of Manufacturing Systems (JMS), the International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering (IJISE), and the Journal of Computer-Aided Drafting, Design and Manufacturing (CADDM).
Dr. Lee is also an FAA certified private pilot. He flies single-engine land-based airplanes.
Master of Science in Industrial Engineering
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
National Taiwan University
Bio-medical manufacturing, Computational geometry for bio-medical design and manufacturing, CAD/CAM/CAE integration, 5-axis sculptured surface NC machining, computer graphics, Rapid prototyping, High Speed Machining, computational intelligence, product realization, Computer-aided process planning, and tool selection and optimization.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers,
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial Engineers,
- Award for Technical Innovation in Industrial Engineering, IIE,
- Career/PYI Award,
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, SME,
- A Gouge-Free Tool Axis Reorientation Method for Kinematics Compliant Avoidance of Singularity in 5-Axis Machining
- Sun, S., Sun, Y., & Lee, Y.-S. (2019), JOURNAL OF MANUFACTURING SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME, 141(5). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4043266
- A Method of Generating Spiral Tool Path for Direct Three-Axis Computer Numerical Control Machining of Measured Cloud of Point
- Xu, J., Xu, L., Sun, Y., Lee, Y.-S., & Zhao, J. (2019), JOURNAL OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATION SCIENCE IN ENGINEERING, 19(4). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4043532
- Jerk-limited feedrate scheduling and optimization for five-axis machining using new piecewise linear programming approach
- Sun, Y. W., Chen, M. S., Jia, J. J., Lee, Y.-S., & Guo, D. M. (2019), SCIENCE CHINA-TECHNOLOGICAL SCIENCES, 62(7), 1067–1081. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-018-9404-9
- Parametric study for asymmetric flexure hinge design for tissue cutting
- Jones, J. A., Lee, Y.-S., & Moore, J. Z. (2019), PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART B-JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MANUFACTURE, 233(4), 1302–1309. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405418774587
- Iso-planar feed vector-fields-based streamline tool path generation for five-axis compound surface machining with torus-end cutters
- Sun, S. X., Sun, Y. W., Xu, J. T., & Lee, Y. S. (2018), Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 140(7). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4039653
- Needle geometry effect on vibration tissue cutting
- Barnett, A. C., Lee, Y. S., & Moore, J. Z. (2018), Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part B, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 232(5), 827–837. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954405416654188
- PLSP based layered contour generation from point cloud for additive manufacturing
- Xu, J. T., Hou, W. B., Sun, Y. W., & Lee, Y. S. (2018), Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 49, 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2017.05.006
- Spiral tool path generation method on mesh surfaces guided by radial curves
- Xu, J. T., Ji, Y. K., Sun, Y. W., & Lee, Y. S. (2018), Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 140(7). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4039918
- AC-pulse modulated electrohydrodynamic jet printing and electroless copper deposition for conductive microscale patterning on flexible insulating substrates
- Qin, H. T., Dong, J. Y., & Lee, Y. S. (2017), Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 43, 179–187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2015.09.010
- Asymmetric flexure hinge for compliant vibrational tissue cutting
- Jones, J. A., Lee, Y. S., & Moore, J. Z. (2017), Proceedings of the ASME 12th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference - 2017, vol 4. https://doi.org/10.1115/msec2017-2850