Dopaco Distinguished Professor
- 414A Daniels Hall
Richard Wysk’s research and teaching interests are in the general area of Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) and medical device design and manufacturing. In particular, he is interested in: 1) lean manufacturing (waste elimination and setup reduction), 2) product/process engineering, 3) Computer-Aided Manufacturing, 4) Flexible Manufacturing Systems (FMSs) planning, design and control, and most recently 5) the engineering and manufacturing of medical products, including regenerative medical products.
Dr. Wysk has coauthored six books including Computer-Aided Manufacturing, with T.C. Chang and H.P. Wang — the 1991 IIE Book of the Year and the 1991 SME Eugene Merchant Book of the Year. He has also published more than one-hundred seventy-five technical papers in the open-literature in journals including the Transactions of ASME, the Transactions of IEEE and the IIE Transactions. He is an Associate Editor and/or a member of the Editorial Board for five technical journals.
Dr. Wysk is an IIE Fellow, an SME Fellow, a member of Sigma Xi, and a member of Alpha Pi Mu and Tau Beta Pi. He is the recipient of the IIE Region III Award for Excellence, the SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, the IIE David F. Baker Distinguished Research Award and the IIE Albert Holzman Outstanding Educator Award .
He has held engineering positions with General Electric and Caterpillar Tractor Company. He has also served on the faculties of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and Texas A&M University where he held the Royce Wisenbaker Chair in Innovation. He is a veteran of the U.S. Army, and served in Vietnam, where he earned a Bronze Star and an Army Commendation Medal with an Oak Leaf Cluster.
Discover more about Richard Wysk, see Faculty Profile: Richard Wysk
Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
Master of Science
University of Massachusetts
Bachelor of Science
University of Massachusetts
Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM), medical device design and manufacturing and regenerative medicine manufacturing.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial Engineers,
- Fellow, SME,
- Dr. David Baker Distinguished Research Award, Institute of Industrial Engineers,
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, SME,
- Region III Award for Excellence, Institute of Industrial Engineers,
- Albert Holzman Outstanding Educator Award, Institute of Industrial Engineers,
- A highway-driving system design viewpoint using an agent-based modeling of an affordance-based finite state automata
- Ransikarbum, K., Kim, N., Ha, S., Wysk, R. A., & Rothrock, L. (2018), IEEE Access, 6.
- Bioprinting: An assessment based on manufacturing readiness levels
- Wu, C. S., Wang, B., Zhang, C., Wysk, R. A., & Chen, Y. W. (2017), Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 37(3), 333-354.
- A dynamic programming method for product upgrade planning incorporating technology development and end-of-life decisions
- Chung, W. H., Kremer, G. E. O., & Wysk, R. A. (2017), Journal of Industrial and Production Engineering, 34(1), 30-41.
- Supply chain operations reference model for us based powder bed metal additive manufacturing processes
- Shouche, S., Wysk, R. A., King, R. E., & Harrysson, O. L. A. (2016), In 2016 winter simulation conference (wsc). (Winter Simulation Conference Proceedings, ) (pp. 1158-1169).
- Additive manufacturing-integrated hybrid manufacturing and subtractive processes: Economic model and analysis
- Manogharan, G., Wysk, R. A., & Harrysson, O. L. A. (2016), International Journal of Computer-integrated Manufacturing, 29(5), 473-488.
- AIMS- a metal additive-hybrid manufacturing system: System architecture and attributes
- Manogharan, G., Wysk, R., Harrysson, O., & Aman, R. (2015), (43rd North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRC 43, ) (pp. 273-286).
- Automatic part localization in a CNC machine coordinate system by means of 3D scans
- Srinivasan, H., Harrysson, O. L. A., & Wysk, R. A. (2015), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 81(5-8), 1127-1138.
- Manufacturing road map for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine technologies
- Hunsberger, J., Harrysson, O., Shirwaiker, R., Starly, B., Wysk, R., Cohen, P., Allickson, J., Yoo, J., Atala, A. (2015), Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 4(2), 130-135.
- Design for FDA: A predictive model for the FDA's decision time for medical devices
- Medina, L. A., Davila, S., Kremer, G. E. O., & Wysk, R. A. (2014), (Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2013, vol 4, ).
- Life cycle implications of product modular architectures in closed-loop supply chains
- Chung, W. H., Kremer, G. E. O., & Wysk, R. A. (2014), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 70(9-12), 2013-2028.