- 408 Daniels Hall
Rohan Shirwaiker is an Associate Professor in ISE and an Associate faculty member of the UNC-NCSU Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), Center for Additive Manufacturing and Logistics (CAMAL), and Comparative Medicine Institute (CMI).
Dr. Shirwaiker directs activities of the multidisciplinary 3D Tissue Biofabrication research group which focuses on design and scalable manufacturing technologies for engineered tissues. The group studies the fundamental interrelationships between biofabrication processes and biomaterials, and their effects on the critical-to-quality attributes of 3D scaffolds and cellular constructs. This knowledge is then utilized to develop new manufacturing strategies and tissue engineered medical products, primarily in orthopaedics, in collaboration with surgeons and biomedical engineers.
Dr. Shirwaiker’s research has been supported by over $1.5 million in research grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF), Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF), Kenan Institute for Engineering, Technology and Science, and other extramural and internal funding agencies. He has co-authored 25 journal articles, 60 conference proceedings, 2 book chapters and 1 US patent in the field. He has been recognized by several distinguished awards including, most recently, the 2017 NSF CAREER Award and the 2017 C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award.
Dr. Shirwaiker teaches undergraduate and graduate ISE courses related to design and manufacturing, including ISE 316 (Manufacturing Engineering I: Processes), ISE 498 (Senior Design Project), ISE 589 (Intro to Biomedical Design and Manufacturing), and ISE 714 (Product Manufacturing for Medical Device Industry). He is the faculty advisor to the NC State student chapter of SME and the President-elect of the Manufacturing & Design Division of the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers. He also serves on the SME Member Council.
Doctorate on Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
Pennsylvania State University
Master of Science
Pennsylvania State University
Bachelor of Science
University of Mumbai
3D Biofabrication, Bioprinting, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Orthopaedics, Medical Product Development
Honors and Awards
- Label free process monitoring of 3D bioprinted engineered constructs via dielectric impedance spectroscopy
- Narayanan, L. K., Thompson, T. L., Shirwaiker, R. A., & Starly, B. (2018), Biofabrication, 10(3).
- Antibacterial efficacy and cytotoxicity of low intensity direct current activated silver-titanium implant system prototype
- Tan, Z., Havell, E. A., Orndorff, P. E., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2017), Biometals, 30(1), 113–125.
- Effects of 3D-bioplotted polycaprolactone scaffold geometry on human adipose-derived stem cell viability and proliferation
- Mehendale, S. V., Mellor, L. F., Taylor, M. A., Loboa, E. G., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2017), Rapid Prototyping Journal, 23(3), 534–542.
- Engineering 3D-bioplotted scaffolds to induce aligned extracellular matrix deposition for musculoskeletal soft tissue replacement
- Warren, P. B., Huebner, P., Spang, J. T., Shirwaiker, R. A., & Fisher, M. B. (2017), Connective Tissue Research, 58(3-4), 342–354.
- Fabrication and evaluation of electrospun, 3D-bioplotted, and combination of electrospun/3D-bioplotted scaffolds for tissue engineering applications
- Mellor, L. F., Huebner, P., Cai, S. B., Mohiti-Asli, M., Taylor, M. A., Spang, J., … Loboa, E. G. (2017), Biomed Research International. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6956794
- Investigating dielectric impedance spectroscopy as a non-destructive quality assessment tool for 3D cellular constructs
- Narayanan, L. K., Thompson, T. L., Bhat, A., Starly, B., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2017),
- 3D-bioprinting of polylactic acid (PLA) nanofiber-alginate hydrogel bioink containing human adipose-derived stem cells
- Narayanan, L. K., Huebner, P., Fisher, M. B., Spang, J. T., Starly, B., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2016), ACS Biomaterials-Science & Engineering, 2(10), 1732–1742.
- Effects of electrically activated silver-titanium implant system design parameters on time-kill curves against Staphylococcus aureus
- Tan, Z., Xu, G. N., Orndorff, P. E., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2016), Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 36(3), 325–333. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40846-016-0136-x
- Evaluation of silver-titanium implants activated by low intensity direct current for orthopedic infection control: An in vitro and in vivo study
- Cavanaugh, D. L., Tan, Z., Norris, J. P., Hardee, A., Weinhold, P. S., Dahners, L. E., … Shirwaiker, R. A. (2016), Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, Applied Biomaterials, 104(5), 1023–1031.
- In vitro characterization of design and compressive properties of 3D-biofabricated/decellularized hybrid grafts for tracheal tissue engineering
- Johnson, C., Sheshadri, P., Ketchum, J. M., Narayanan, L. K., Weinberger, P. M., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2016), Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 59, 572–585.