Edward P. Fitts Distinguished Professor
Co-Director of CAMAL
- 126A Daniels Hall
Ola Harrysson joined the ISE department in January of 2002 and is teaching courses related to product development, manufacturing processes, additive manufacturing and biomodeling. Most of his research involves additive manufacturing, specifically the medical applications.
Dr. Harrysson is in charge of the Additive Manufacturing Laboratory (AML) in the ISE department which houses the first Electron Beam Melting (EBM) machine in the world. AML is currently involved in both aerospace and medical related research as well as providing faculty and students with prototyping services. Most of the aerospace related research involves process and material development for the EBM systems while the medical research is concentrated on custom design and direct metal fabrication of novel implants.
Dr. Harrysson has been working for over 10 years with his colleague, Denis Marcellin-Little, who is an orthopedic surgeon at the College of Veterinary Medicine, developing new and innovative implant solutions. The two have pioneered the area of Transdermal Osseointegrated Prosthetics, which is a type of a prosthetic limb that is directly attached to the bone in the stump instead of using an external socket.
Doctorate of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
University of Central Florida
Master of Science in Industrial Engineering
University of Central Florida
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Medical and aerospace applications of additive manufacturing, custom design and fabrication of biomedical implants, medical devices, rehabilitation engineering, and regenerative medicine.
Honors and Awards
- Technical Innovation in Industrial Engineering Award, Institute of Industrial Engineering, 2012
- Edward P. Fitts Distinguished Professor, 2017
- Effect of hypoeutectic boron additions on the grain size and mechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V manufactured with powder bed electron beam additive manufacturing
- Mahbooba, Z., West, H., Harrysson, O., Wojcieszynski, A., Dehoff, R., Nandwana, P., & Horn, T. (2017), JOM: the Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 69(3), 472-478.
- Supply chain operations reference model for us based powder bed metal additive manufacturing processes
- Shouche, S., Wysk, R. A., King, R. E., & Harrysson, O. L. A. (2016), In 2016 winter simulation conference (wsc). (Winter Simulation Conference Proceedings, ) (pp. 1158-1169).
- Influence of chondrodystrophy and brachycephaly on geometry of the humerus in dogs
- Smith, E. J., Marcellin-Little, D. J., Harrysson, O. L. A., & Griffith, E. H. (2016), Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 29(3), 220-226.
- Overview of materials qualification needs for metal additive manufacturing (vol 68, pg 747, 2016)
- Seifi, M., Salem, A., Beuth, J., Harrysson, O., & Lewandowski, J. J. (2016), JOM: the Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 68(5), 1492-1492.
- Additive manufacturing-integrated hybrid manufacturing and subtractive processes: Economic model and analysis
- Manogharan, G., Wysk, R. A., & Harrysson, O. L. A. (2016), International Journal of Computer-integrated Manufacturing, 29(5), 473-488.
- Overview of materials qualification needs for metal additive manufacturing
- Seifi, M., Salem, A., Beuth, J., Harrysson, O., & Lewandowski, J. J. (2016), JOM: the Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 68(3), 747-764.
- AIMS- a metal additive-hybrid manufacturing system: System architecture and attributes
- Manogharan, G., Wysk, R., Harrysson, O., & Aman, R. (2015), (43rd North American Manufacturing Research Conference, NAMRC 43, ) (pp. 273-286).
- Automatic part localization in a CNC machine coordinate system by means of 3D scans
- Srinivasan, H., Harrysson, O. L. A., & Wysk, R. A. (2015), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 81(5-8), 1127-1138.
- Mechanical properties of 3D re-entrant honeycomb auxetic structures realized via additive manufacturing
- Yang, L., Harrysson, O., West, H., & Cormier, D. (2015), International Journal of Solids and Structures, 69-70, 475-490.
- Low-energy drop weight performance of cellular sandwich panels
- Yang, L., Harrysson, O. A., West, H. A., Cormier, D. R., Park, C., & Peters, K. (2015), Rapid Prototyping Journal, 21(4), 433-442.