Professor of Personalized Medicine
Maria Mayorga joined North Carolina State University in August 2013 as a Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program cluster hire in Personalized Medicine. She is a Professor in the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering and part of the Healthcare Systems Engineering group. Her goal is to address fundamental research barriers in moving from estimates of efficacy to estimates of the effectiveness of interventions or policies by explicitly considering individual patient preferences when the underlying patient population is heterogeneous. She is also interested in optimally allocating resources in Emergency Medical Service systems. To achieve these goals Mayorga will create analytical models of health systems that incorporate patient-level data. She uses techniques such as simulation, dynamic programming, applied probability, queuing theory and mathematical programming. She employs multiple sources of secondary data and a mixed methods approach to enable predictions of health outcomes at levels for which it is difficult to conduct studies in practice. This research is inherently interdisciplinary and is thus facilitated via collaborations with health services researchers such as epidemiologists, economists, and medical doctors.
Prior to joining the NC State faculty, she was on the faculty at Clemson University, Department of Industrial Engineering for seven years. She has authored over 40 publications in archival journals and refereed proceedings. Her research has been supported by NIH and NSF, among others. She received the distinguished National Science Foundation CAREER Award for her work to incorporate patient choice into predictive models of health outcomes.
Doctorate on Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
University of California at Berkeley
Master of Science
University of California at Berkeley
Bachelor of Science
George Washington University
Modeling Marketing and Operations Interface, Analysis of Supply Chain Models, Application of Stochastic Optimization in Production and Service Systems, Analysis of Queuing Systems.
- Identifying trade-offs in equity and efficiency for simultaneously optimizing location and multipriority dispatch of ambulances
- Enayati, S., Mayorga, M. E., Toro-Diaz, H., & Albert, L. A. (2019), INTERNATIONAL TRANSACTIONS IN OPERATIONAL RESEARCH, 26(2), 415–438. https://doi.org/10.1111/itor.12590
- Ambulance redeployment and dispatching under uncertainty with personnel workload limitations
- Enayati, S., Ozaltin, O. Y., Mayorga, M. E., & Saydam, C. (2018), IISE Transactions, 50(9), 777–788.
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Advancing Health Services
- Maillart, L. M., & Mayorga, M. E. (2018), SERVICE SCIENCE, 10(3), V–. https://doi.org/10.1287/serv.2018.0225
- Real-time ambulance redeployment approach to improve service coverage with fair and restricted workload for EMS providers
- Enayati, S., Mayorga, M. E., Rajagopalan, H. K., & Saydam, C. (2018), OMEGA-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCE, 79, 67–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2017.08.001
- Changes in cigarette smoking initiation, cessation, and relapse among US adults: A comparison of two longitudinal samples
- Yi, Z. N., Mayorga, M. E., Lich, K. H., & Pearson, J. L. (2017), Tobacco Induced Diseases, 15.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of four simulated colorectal cancer screening interventions, North Carolina
- Lich, K. H., Cornejo, D. A., Mayorga, M. E., Pignone, M., Tangka, F. K. L., Richardson, L. C., … Wheeler, S. B. (2017), Preventing Chronic Disease, 14.
- Simulating triage of patients into an internal medicine department to validate the use of an optimization-based workload score
- Agor, J., McKenzie, K., Mayorga, M. E., Ozaltin, O., Parikh, R. S., & Huddleston, J. (2017), In 2017 winter simulation conference (wsc) (pp. 2881–2892).
- A maximum expected covering problem for district design
- Ansari, S., Mclay, L. A., & Mayorga, M. E. (2017), Transportation Science, 51(1), 376–390.
- The optimal assignment of spontaneous volunteers
- Mayorga, M. E., Lodree, E. J., & Wolczynski, J. (2017), Journal of the Operational Research Society, 68(9), 1106–1116.
- Coverage, survivability or response time: A comparative study of performance statistics used in ambulance location models via simulation-optimization
- Zaffar, M. A., Rajagopalan, H. K., Saydam, C., Mayorga, M., & Sharer, E. (2016), Operations Research for Health Care, 11, 1–12.
- RAPID: Collaborative Research: Defining a Performance Measurement Framework for Spontaneous Volunteer Management Systems in Post-Disaster Relief
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(11/01/18 - 10/31/19)
- Improving Patient Throughput in the Emergency Department at Southeastern Regional Medical Center
- Southeastern Regional Medical Center (SRMC)(6/01/18 - 5/31/19)
- UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Year 5
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention(9/30/18 - 9/29/19)
- Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention(9/30/17 - 9/29/18)
- RAPID: Collaborative Research: Field Study of Volunteer Convergence in Post-Disaster Relief
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(10/01/17 - 9/30/18)
- LAS DO7 Mayorga - 3.2 Small Conflict Economies
- Laboratory for Analytic Sciences(1/01/17 - 12/31/17)
- SCH: INT: Collaborative Research: S.E.P.S.I.S.: Sepsis Early Prediction Support Implementation System: CCHS Summer
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(10/01/15 - 9/30/18)
- LAS DO6 Mayorga - User Experience
- Laboratory for Analytic Sciences(1/01/16 - 12/31/16)
- SIP 14-010 Cancer Prevention & Control Research Network Coordinating Center
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention(9/30/15 - 9/29/17)
- LAS DO5 Mayorga Task 5.2
- Laboratory for Analytic Sciences(3/24/15 - 12/31/15)