Foscue Distinguished Professor
University Alumni Distinguished Graduate Professor
University Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Additive Manufacturing and Logistics
- 126B Daniels Hall
Russell King joined the faculty in 1985. He is an associate faculty member of the Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering Institute, the Operations Research Program, and the Textiles and Apparel, Technology and Management Department. He has industrial experience with Dynamac Corporation, the Jacksonville Naval Aviation Depot (US Navy), and Computer Science Corporation. He has been awarded the C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award (on 4 occasions), the NCSU Alcoa Foundation Engineering Achievement Award, the Institute of Industrial Engineers Technical Innovation Award, the Institute of Industrial Engineers Albert G. Holzman Distinguished Educator Award, the NCSU George H. Blessis Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award, and was named an NCSU Alumni Association Distinguished Graduate Professor (2008) and an Alumni Association Distinguished Undergraduate Professor (2011). Dr. King served as the Edward P. Fitts Distinguished Professor from 2012-2017 and was named the Henry Armfield Foscue Distinguished Professor in 2017.
Dr. King is the ISE Undergraduate Scholarship Coordinator and is a Fellow of IIE. He is a member of INFORMS, Tau Beta Pi, and Alpha Pi Mu. He and one his daughters are Masters (4th-degree black belt) of TaeKwonDo under Grand Master K.S. Lee of Cary, NC.
Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
University of Florida
Master of Industrial Engineering
University of Florida
Bachelor of Science in Systems Engineering
University of Florida
Logistics engineering, production scheduling and inventory control for manufacturing/remanufacturing systems under risk, design and control of manufacturing systems, and modeling and evaluation of quick response sourcing, manufacturing and retail systems.
Honors and Awards
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 1986
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 1996
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 2002
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 2008
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 2014
- NCSU Alcoa Foundation Engineering Achievement Award, 1995
- Technical Innovation in Industrial Engineering, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 2003
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 2006
- Albert G. Holzman Distinguished Educator Award, Institute of Industrial Engineers, 2010
- NCSU George H. Blessis Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor Award, 2010
- Edward P. Fitts Distinguished Professor, 2012
- Henry Armfield Foscue Distinguished Professor, 2017
- Allocation heuristics for high-altitude long- endurance UAV image intelligence platforms
- Kim, G., Hodgson, T. J., King, R. E., Liu, Y. N., & Kay, M. G. (2017), Military Operations Research, 22(3), 5-19.
- Heuristic inventory policies for a hybrid manufacturing/remanufacturing system with product substitution
- Ahiska, S. S., Gocer, F., & King, R. E. (2017), Computers & Industrial Engineering, 114, 206-222.
- Supply chain operations reference model for us based powder bed metal additive manufacturing processes
- Shouche, S., Wysk, R. A., King, R. E., & Harrysson, O. L. A. (2016), In 2016 winter simulation conference (wsc). (Winter Simulation Conference Proceedings, ) (pp. 1158-1169).
- Reverse logistics of US carpet recycling
- I Sas, KA Thoney, JA Joines, RE King, R Woolard. (2015), In Tsan-Ming Choi, T.C. Edwin Cheng (Eds.), Sustainable Fashion Supply Chain Management. (pp. 3-30). Cham: Springer,.
- Analysis of a downward substitution strategy in a manufacturing/remanufacturing system
- Gocer, F., Ahiska, S. S., & King, R. E. (2015), In Operations research and enterprise systems, icores 2014. (Communications in Computer and Information Science, 509) (pp. 186-198).
- On the economic lot scheduling problem: Stock-out prevention and system feasibility
- Hanson, B. B., Hodgson, T. J., Kay, M. G., King, R. E., & Thoney-Barletta, K. A. (2015), International Journal of Production Research, 53(16), 4903-4916.
- Inventory policy characterisation methodologies for a single-product recoverable manufacturing system
- Ahiska, S. S., & King, R. E. (2015), European Journal of Industrial Engineering, 9(2), 222-243.
- Combined DES/SD model of breast cancer screening for older women, II: screening-and-treatment simulation
- Tejada, J. J., Ivy, J. S., King, R. E., Wilson, J. R., Ballan, M. J., Kay, M. G., Diehl, K. M., & Yankaskas, B. C. (2014), IIE Transactions, 46(7), 707-727.
- A Markov decision process-based policy characterization approach for a stochastic inventory control problem with unreliable sourcing
- Ahiska, S. S., Appaji, S. R., King, R. E., & Warsing, D. P. (2013), International Journal of Production Economics, 144(2), 485-496.
- An effective lower bound on L-max in a worker-constrained job shop
- Lobo, B. J., Hodgson, T. J., King, R. E., Thoney, K. A., & Wilson, J. R. (2013), Computers & Operations Research, 40(1), 328-343.