- Phone: 919.515.6403
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 4349 Fitts-Woolard Hall
Karen Chen joined NC State’s Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering as a faculty member in the Human-Systems group in August 2016. Prior to joining ISE, she was a postdoctoral research associate at the Healthcare Systems Engineering Institute at Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts.
Chen’s research studies human performances and uses human factors and ergonomics frameworks as the foundation. She also implements technologies such as virtual reality to explore potentials in improving the health and safety of various populations. She has investigated the use of virtual reality to understand older driver biomechanics and the utility for ranges of motion rehabilitation of chronic pain patients. Besides research, she also offers courses in Human Factors in Systems Design, Musculoskeletal Biomechanics, Human-Computer Interface, and Special Topics in Technology and Healthcare Applications.
Visit Chen’s Virtual and Augmented Reality Lab.
Karen Chen’s recent research studies patient safety in healthcare systems specifically examines some critical junctures between primary and specialty care using human factors frameworks and methods. She also explores the application of virtual reality for chronic neck pain rehabilitation and the interface design of touchscreens for individuals with physical disabilities. These research topics also highlight her experiences in experimental design.
|Ph.D.||Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering||University of Wisconsin-Madison||2015|
|MSBE||Masters of Science in Biomedical Engineering||University of Wisconsin-Madison||2010|
|BSBE||Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering||University of Wisconsin-Madison||2009|
Honors and Awards
- 2021 | AEC Young Investigator Award
- 2014 | IEEE VR Best Poster Award
- 2014 | HFES Student Honors Award
Discover more about Karen Chen
- Like Safety, Success Doesn’t Happen by Accident
- A Seeker of Science
- ISE Welcomes New Faculty
- Watch Dr. Chen talk with WRAL News about her virtual reality research
- Watch Virtual Reality Team on the CW22
- Which Came First: The Superhero or the Science?
- ISE Goes to Comicon
- Creator of Worlds
- Reply to The Effects of Curative-Intent Cancer Therapy on Employment, Work Ability, and Work Limitations
- Tevaarwerk, A. J., Kwekkeboom, K., Buhr, K. A., Dennee, A., Conkright, W., Onitilo, A., … Sesto, M. E. (2021, June 18), CANCER. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33566
- Task-Oriented and Imitation-Oriented Movements in Virtual Reality Exercise Performance and Design
- Chen, K., & Chen, K. B. (2021), HUMAN FACTORS. https://doi.org/10.1177/00187208211010100
- Usage of a Web-Based Workplace and Symptom Self-Management Intervention Tool to Improve Work Ability for Breast Cancer Survivors
- Chen, K. B., Yen, T., Sun, W., Tevaarwerk, A. J., Wiegmann, D. A., Heidrich, S. M., & Sesto, M. E. (2021, September 3), JOURNAL OF CANCER EDUCATION. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-021-02048-5
- Results from a prospective longitudinal survey of employment and work outcomes in newly diagnosed cancer patients during and after curative-intent chemotherapy: A Wisconsin Oncology Network study
- Tevaarwerk, A. J., Kwekkeboom, K., Buhr, K. A., Dennee, A., Conkright, W., Onitilo, A. A., … Sesto, M. E. (2020), CANCER. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33311
- A usability assessment of riding lawn-mowing equipment with varying levels of design standards compliance
- Deng, Y., Shirley, J., Rose, T., Geary, L., Feltner, D., Chen, K., … Kaber, D. B. (2019), APPLIED ERGONOMICS, 78, 76–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2019.02.003
- Examining Relationship between Driver Characteristics and Critical Target Identification Failures
- Ho, Y.-M., Lin, J.-H., & Chen, K. B. (2019), TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH RECORD, 2673(8), 192–197. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198119842123
- Immersion of virtual reality for rehabilitation - Review
- Rose, T., Nam, C. S., & Chen, K. B. (2018). [Review of , ]. Applied Ergonomics, 69, 153–161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2018.01.009
- Use of virtual reality feedback for patients with chronic neck pain and kinesiophobia
- Chen, K. B., Sesto, M. E., Ponto, K., Leonard, J., Mason, A., Vanderheiden, G., … Radwin, R. G. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 25(8), 1240–1248. https://doi.org/10.1109/tnsre.2016.2621886
- Using the Microsoft Kinect (TM) to assess 3-D shoulder kinematics during computer use
- Xu, X., Robertson, M., Chen, K. B., Lin, J. H., & McGorry, R. W. (2017), Applied Ergonomics, 65, 418–423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2017.04.004
- Effect of a web-based, decision support intervention to improve work ability in breast cancer survivors
- Sesto, M. E., Buhr, K. A., Sun, W., Chen, K., Tevaarwerk, A. J., Wiegmann, D. A., & Heidrich, S. M. (2016), Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association.