Professor and Director of the Graduate Program
- 436 Daniels Hall
Yahya Fathi has been a professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at North Carolina State University since 1984. Previously, he was an assistant professor of IE at Georgia Tech and at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Dr. Fathi received the NC State University Outstanding Teacher Award in 1999, and he is a member INFORMS, IIE, Omega Rho, and Sigma Xi.
Discover more about Dr. Fathi, see Faculty Profile: Yahya Fathi.
Ph.D. Student Advising
University of Michigan
Master of Science
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering
Sharif (formerly Arya-Mehr) University of Technology
Linear and nonlinear programming, integer programming, exact and inexact methods in discrete optimization, with applications in cutting and packing, data mining, cluster analysis, data base management systems, production planning and scheduling, logistics, and quality engineering.
Honors and Awards
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 1991
- C. A. Anderson Outstanding Faculty Award, ISE Department at NC State University, 1998
- An integer programming approach for solving the p-dispersion problem
- Sayyady, F. and Fathi, Y. (2016), European Journal of Operational Research, 253(1), 216-225.
- Determining query readiness for structured data
- Alborzi, F. and Chirkova, R. and Doyle, J. and Fathi, Y. (2015), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9263(), 3-14.
- p-Median and p-dispersion problems: A bi-criteria analysis
- Sayyady, F. and Tutunchi, G. K. and Fathi, Y. (2015), Computers & Operations Research, 61(), 46-55.
- Branch and bound algorithms for resource constrained project scheduling problem subject to nonrenewable resources with prescheduled procurement
- Chaleshtarti, A. S. and Shadrokh, S. and Fathi, Y. (2014), Mathematical Problems in Engineering, (), .
- Locating traffic sensors on a highway network models and algorithms
- Sayyady, F. and Fathi, Y. and List, G. F. and Stone, J. R. (2013), Transportation Research Record, (2339), 30-38.
- Two-stage stochastic view selection for data-analysis queries
- Huang, R. and Chirkova, R. and Fathi, Y. (2013), Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 186(), 115-123.
- A Markov chain framework for cycle time approximation of toolsets
- Akhavan-Tabatabaei, R. and Fathi, Y. and Shanthikumar, J. G. (2012), IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 25(4), 589-597.
- An efficient model for the crosscut optimisation problem in a wood processing mill
- Fathi, Y. and Kianfar, K. (2012), International Journal of Production Research, 50(2), 485-497.
- The nearest point problem in a polyhedral set and its extensions
- Liu, Z. and Fathi, Y. (2012), Computational Optimization and Applications, 53(1), 115-130.
- Using a mathematical programming model to examine the marginal price of capacitated resources
- Kefeli, A. and Uzsoy, R. and Fathi, Y. and Kay, M. (2011), International Journal of Production Economics, 131(1), 383-391.
- An active index algorithm for the nearest point problem in a polyhedral cone
- Liu, Z. and Fathi, Y. (2011), Computational Optimization and Applications, 49(3), 435-456.
- Generating facets for finite master cyclic group polyhedra using n-step mixed integer rounding functions
- Kianfar, K. and Fathi, Y. (2010), European Journal of Operational Research, 207(1), 105-109.
- An optimal and near-optimal strategy to selecting individuals for transfer in captive breeding programs
- Allen, S. D. and Fathi, Y. and Gross, K. and Mace, M. (2010), Biological Conservation, 143(11), 2858-2863.
- Generalized mixed integer rounding inequalities: facets for infinite group polyhedra
- Kianfar, K. and Fathi, Y. (2009), Mathematical Programming, 120(2), 313-346.
- Algorithms for the q-model clustering problem with application in switching cabinet manufacturing
- Morgan, S. D. and Fathi, Y. (2008), European Journal of Operational Research, 189(3), 939-951.
- Integer programming models for the q-mode problem
- Kulkarni, G. and Fathi, Y. (2007), European Journal of Operational Research, 182(2), 612-625.
- A very large scale neighborhood search algorithm for the q-mode problem
- Kulkarni, G. and Fathi, Y. (2007), IIE Transactions, 39(10), 971-984.
- Algorithms for the model configuration problem
- Morgan, S. D. and Fathi, Y. and Taheri, J. (2004), IIE Transactions, 36(2), 169-180.
- Heuristic methods for gang-rip saw arbor design
- Fathi, Y. and Aksakalli, V. (2004), European Journal of Operational Research, 154(3), 626-640.
- A tabu search algorithm for the multi-stage parallel machine problem with limited buffer capacities
- Wardono, B. and Fathi, Y. (2004), European Journal of Operational Research, 155(2), 380-401.
- Statistical tolerancing using designed experiments in a noisy environment
- Koksal, G. and Fathi, Y. (2003), Computers & Industrial Engineering, 44(3), 515-526.
- Heuristic procedures for the parallel machine problem with tool switches
- Fathi, Y. and Barnette, K. W. (2002), International Journal of Production Research, 40(1), 151-164.
- Meta-optimization using cellular automata with application to the combined trip distribution and assignment system optimal problem
- Eldessouki, W. M. and Fathi, Y. and Rouphail, N. (2001), Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 16(6), 384-398.
- A mathematical model and a heuristic procedure for the robust design problem with high-low tolerances
- Fathi, Y. and Palko, D. (2001), IIE Transactions, 33(12), 1121-1127.
- Parametric design and optimization for a nonlinear precision X-Y microstage
- Taylor, J. B. and Carrano, A. L. and Fathi, Y. (2000), Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 19(4), 229-238.
- On the sensitivity of project variability to activity mean duration
- Elmaghraby, S. E. and Fathi, Y. and Taner, M. R. (1999), International Journal of Production Economics, 62(3), 219-232.
- Design of economical noise array experiments for a partially controlled simulation environment
- Koksal, G. and Fathi, Y. (1998), Computers & Industrial Engineering, 35(3-4), 555-558.
- A case study in off-line quality control: characterization and optimization of batch dyeing process design
- Koksal, G. and Smith, W. A. and Fathi, Y. and Lu, J. C. Y. and McGregor, R. (1998), International Journal of Technology Management, 16(4-6), 358-382.
- Alternative manufacturing sequences and tolerance buildup: a point of view and a case study
- Fathi, Y. and Mittal, R. O. and Cline, J. E. and Martin, P. M. (1997), International Journal of Production Research, 35(1), 123-136.
- A linear approximation model for the parameter design problem
- Fathi, Y. (1997), European Journal of Operational Research, 97(3), 561-570.