Chang S. (CS) Nam
- 466 Daniels Hall
Chang S. Nam is a Professor of Industrial and Systems Engineering at North Carolina State University. He is also an associated faculty in the UNC/NCSU Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering as well as Department of Psychology. Previously he was an Assistant Professor and an Associate Professor at the University of Arkansas. He has received the NSF CAREER Award (2010), Outstanding Researcher Award (2010-2011), and Best Teacher Award (2010-2011). He is a recipient of the US Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (AFSFFP) Award in 2018. Dr. Nam teaches and conducts basic and applied research in human factors and ergonomics engineering to advance the science of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) with a broad perspective on the application of systems and information engineering to human-centered technologies, including brain-computer interfaces and rehabilitation engineering. His research has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), and the Laboratory for Analytic Sciences (LAS), UNC/NCSU Rehabilitation Engineering Center (REC). He is the main editor (with Drs. Nijholt and Lotte) of “Brain-Computer Interfaces Handbook: Technological and Theoretical Advances,” published by CRC Press. Currently, Nam serves as the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Brain-Computer Interfaces. For more details, refer to Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Lab.
Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering
Master of Science in Industrial Engineering
State University of New York at Buffalo
Brain-computer interface and neurorehabilitation, haptic-user interaction, neuroergonomics, and adaptive and intelligent human-computer interaction.
Honors and Awards
- U.S. Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (AFSFFP) Awardee, 2018
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2010
- Outstanding Researcher Award, University of Arkansas, 2010
- Best Teacher Award, University of Arkansas, 2010
- Affective experience of physical user interfaces: Similarities and differences among control types
- Rhiu, I., Bahn, S., Nam, C. S., & Yun, M. H. (2018), Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing, 28(2), 56–68.
- Immersion of virtual reality for rehabilitation - Review
- Rose, T., Nam, C. S., & Chen, K. B. (2018), Applied Ergonomics, 69, 153–161.
- Quantitative modeling of user performance in multitasking environments
- Liu, S. J., Nam, C. S., & Fitts, E. P. (2018), Computers in Human Behavior, 84, 130–140.
- Behavioral and neural correlates of executive function: Interplay between inhibition and updating processes
- Kim, N. Y., Wittenberg, E., & Nam, C. S. (2017), Frontiers in Neuroscience, 11.
- Emotional granularity effects on event-related brain potentials during affective picture processing
- Lee, J. Y., Lindquist, K. A., & Nam, C. S. (2017), Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 11, 1–18.
- Muscle loading in exoskeletal orthotic use in an activity of daily living
- White, M. M., Morejon, O. N., Liu, S. J., Lau, M. Y., Nam, C. S., & Kaber, D. B. (2017), Applied Ergonomics, 58, 190–197.
- Neuroimaging of human balance control: A systematic review
- Wittenberg, E., Thompson, J., Nam, C. S., & Franz, J. R. (2017), Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 11.
- Touchscreen interfaces in context: A systematic review of research into touchscreens across settings, populations, and implementations
- Orphanides, A. K., & Nam, C. S. (2017), Applied Ergonomics, 61, 116–143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2017.01.013
- A meta-analysis of human-system interfaces in unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) swarm management
- Hocraffer, A., & Nam, C. S. (2017), Applied Ergonomics, 58, 66–80.
- A systematic review of hybrid brain-computer interfaces: Taxonomy and usability perspectives
- Choi, I., Rhiu, I., Lee, Y., Yun, M. H., & Nam, C. S. (2017), PLoS One, 12(4).
- The Role of haptic feedback in robotic-assisted retinal microsurgery systems: a systematic review
- Griffin, J. A., Zhu, W. H., & Nam, C. S. (2017), IEEE Transactions on Haptics, 10(1), 94–105.
- The effects of interruption similarity and complexity on performance in a simulated visual-manual assembly operation
- Pankok, C., Zahabi, M., Zhang, W. J., Choi, I., Liao, Y. F., Nam, C. S., & Kaber, D. (2017), Applied Ergonomics, 59, 94–103.
- Collaborative brain-computer interface for people with motor disabilities
- Li, Y. Q., & Nam, C. S. (2016), IEEE Computational Intelligence M-Agazine, 11(3), 57–67.
- Neuroethics and brain-computer interfaces (BCIs)
- Klein, E., & Nam, C. S. (2016), Brain-Computer Interfaces, 3(3), 123–125.
- Toward quantitative modeling of user performance in multitasking environments
- Liu, S. J., Wadeson, A., & Nam, C. S. (2016), In Engineering psychology and cognitive ergonomics, (epce 2016) (Vol. 9736, pp. 3–9).
- The effects of haptic feedback and visual distraction on pointing task performance
- Corbett, B., Nam, C. S., & Yamaguchi, T. (2016), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 32(2), 89–102.
- Feasibility of a wearable, sensor-based motion tracking system
- Mohammadzadeh, F. F., Liu, S. J., Bond, K. A., & Nam, C. S. (2015), (pp. 192–199).
- Navigation by vibration: Effects of vibrotactile feedback on a navigation task
- Li, Y. Q., Jeon, W. R., & Nam, C. S. (2015), International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 46, 76–84.
- Wayfinding of users with visual impairments in haptically enhanced virtual environments
- Nam, C. S., Whang, M., Liu, S. J., & Moore, M. (2015), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 31(4), 295–306.
- The human factors and ergonomics of P300-based brain-computer interfaces
- Powers, J. C., Bieliaieva, K., Wu, S. H., & Nam, C. S. (2015), Brain Sciences, 5(3), 318–354.
- Does touch matter?: The effects of haptic visualization on human performance, behavior and perception
- Nam, C. S., Richard, P., Yamaguchi, T., & Bahn, S. (2014), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 30(11), 839–841.
- Effects of luminosity contrast and stimulus duration on user performance and preference in a P300-based brain-computer interface
- Li, Y. Q., Bahn, S., Nam, C. S., & Lee, J. (2014), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 30(2), 151–163.
- Scenario-based observation approach for eliciting user requirements for haptic user interfaces
- Bahn, S., Corbett, B., & Nam, C. S. (2014), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 30(11), 842–854.
- Use of reference frame and movement pattern in haptically enhanced 3D virtual environment
- Lee, J. Y., Bahn, S., & Nam, C. S. (2014), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 30(11), 891–903.
- Acceptance of assistive technology by special education teachers: A structural equation model approach
- Nam, C. S., Bahn, S., & Lee, R. (2013), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 29(5), 365–377.
- Brain-computer interface supported collaborative work: Implications for rehabilitation
- Nam, C. S., Lee, J., & Bahn, S. (2013), In 2013 35th annual international conference of the ieee engineering in medicine and biology society (embc) (pp. 269–272).
- Brain-computer interface (BCI) and ergonomics
- Nam, C. S. (2012), Ergonomics, 55(5), 513–515.
- Haptic user interfaces for the visually impaired: Implications for haptically enhanced science learning systems
- Nam, C. S., Li, Y. Q., Yamaguchi, T., & Smith-Jackson, T. L. (2012), International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 28(12), 784–798.
- Severe motor disability affects functional cortical integration in the context of brain-computer interface (BCI) use
- Nam, C. S., Woo, J., & Bahn, S. (2012), Ergonomics, 55(5), 581–591.