Binil Starly joined North Carolina State University in August 2013 as a Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program cluster hire in Regenerative Medicine. He directs the Data Intensive Manufacturing Laboratory (DIME Lab). His laboratory is working on technologies that merge the digital and the physical world towards advancing both discrete and continuous manufacturing processes. His specific technical expertise is in digital design and fabrication, reverse engineering, additive manufacturing and tissue biofabrication processes. His work is supported by the US National Science Foundation and the Department of Defense. As part of the regenerative medicine cluster, his work will involve building production platforms for engineered biological tissue leveraging advances in computer-aided tissue scaffold production, bioprinting, intelligent machines, non-invasive sensors and advanced bioreactors to achieve the goal of ‘tissue engineering on-demand’. Additional information about Dr. Starly’s work, including publications and research, can be found at http://www.dimelab.org.
Binil has received the National Science Foundation CAREER award for research in multi-scale biological tissue scaffold systems built from additive manufacturing platforms. He has published over 34 journal publications in the field of design/manufacturing, customized biomedical implants, biofabrication, and tissue engineering. For his contributions, he has been awarded the 2011 Society of Manufacturing Engineering Young Manufacturing Engineer Award. He has supervised the research of 15 M.S. and 3 Ph.D. students. He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses related to Product Development, Digital Design and Manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing and Regenerative Medicine Manufacturing. Starly’s formal education began with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Kerala, India and then a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Drexel University. He then joined the University of Oklahoma to develop additive manufacturing platforms for tissue engineering.
Doctorate of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Technology
University of Kerala
Digital Manufacturing, Digital Factories, Product Manufacturing Information, Additive Manufacturing, Tissue Biofabrication, Biometrology.
Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation CAREER award,
- Society of Manufacturing Engineering Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 2011
- Human mesenchymal stem cells expansion on three-dimensional (3D) printed poly-styrene (PS) scaffolds in a perfusion bioreactor
- Kumar, A., Lau, W., & Starly, B. (2017), In 3rd cirp conference on biomanufacturing. (Procedia CIRP, 65) (pp. 115-120).
- Investigating dielectric impedance spectroscopy as a non-destructive quality assessment tool for 3D cellular constructs
- Narayanan, L. K., Thompson, T. L., Bhat, A., Starly, B., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2017), (Proceedings of the ASME 12th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference - 2017, vol 4, ).
- Particle learning in online tool wear diagnosis and prognosis
- Zhang, J. L., Starly, B., Cai, Y., Cohen, P. H., & Lee, Y. S. (2017), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 28, 457-463.
- Electrical cell-substrate impedance spectroscopy can monitor age-grouped human adipose stem cell variability during osteogenic differentiation
- Nordberg, R. C., Zhang, J. L., Griffith, E. H., Frank, M. W., Starly, B., & Loboa, E. G. (2017), Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 6(2), 502-511.
- Fabrication of Lindenmayer system-based designed engineered scaffolds using UV-maskless photolithography
- Yasar, O., & Starly, B. (2016), MRS Advances, 1(11), 749-754.
- Modeling human mesenchymal stem cell expansion in vertical wheel bioreactors using lactate production rate in regenerative medicine biomanufacturing
- Kumar, A., & Starly, B. (2016), (Proceedings of the ASME 11th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, 2016, vol 2, ).
- 3D-bioprinting of polylactic acid (PLA) nanofiber-alginate hydrogel bioink containing human adipose-derived stem cells
- Narayanan, L. K., Huebner, P., Fisher, M. B., Spang, J. T., Starly, B., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2016), ACS Biomaterials-Science & Engineering, 2(10), 1732-1742.
- Large scale industrialized cell expansion: Producing the critical raw material for biofabrication processes
- Kumar, A., & Starly, B. (2015), Biofabrication, 7(4).
- Manufacturing road map for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine technologies
- Hunsberger, J., Harrysson, O., Shirwaiker, R., Starly, B., Wysk, R., Cohen, P., Allickson, J., Yoo, J., Atala, A. (2015), Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 4(2), 130-135.