He Gives Back by Taking Away

A love of Legos sparked ISE alumnus Adam Barlow’s curiosity for engineering. A chance to learn about new technologies drew him to NC State, and an admiration for his mentors’ entrepreneurial spirit inspired him to start his own company. Today, Barlow and his project management company, Baseline Controls, engage with the ISE Department and NC State by offering a welcoming home to many students.

Barlow discussing strategies with his young engineers during their weekly team meeting

Barlow’s journey to running his own business began after graduating with his bachelor’s degree from the ISE Department in 1996. He started as a project engineer at a construction management company that specialized in building pharmaceutical facilities. “My first real assignment took me to Singapore to build a brand-new steroids facility for the Southeast Asian markets,” recalled Barlow. His following project experiences at different companies led him to more and more leadership opportunities. At the management level, he was responsible for training and developing his staff. “I enjoyed these leadership and mentoring experiences, and from there, the idea of Baseline Controls was born,” said Barlow. “Now, I get to work as a leader and encourage my team in its development.”

The two years before starting his own company, Barlow says, set the foundation for Baseline Controls. He earned the valuable general management experience he needed by running a construction trade company during that time. Barlow also gives credit to some mentors he had during his development years. “I worked with some great mentors who were successful entrepreneurs,” he recalled. “Those mentors taught and encouraged me. In fact, when I started Baseline Controls, my first client was one of those mentors. I am forever grateful for the lessons I learned and the opportunities granted by my mentors.”

It is not just his mentors that Barlow believes played a part in his success. He also thanks NC State and the ISE Department for teaching him the skills he needed to succeed. “I remember being exposed to a wide variety of industry software applications, which I had to learn quickly,” remembered Barlow. “This is a crucial skill for the consulting industry as we are challenged to adapt quickly to changing project requirements and clients’ needs.” He credits process mapping, another critical skill he learned in the ISE Department, to his business’s progress. “By being process-oriented, we can analyze throughput bottlenecks and design efficiencies,” recalled Barlow. “This translates directly to project management, where we are constantly challenged to deliver project deliverables faster.” Sometimes, this directly relates to saving lives when a new medicine is delivered ahead of schedule.

The quality of education that ISE provides has led Barlow to actively recruit students from the department, the College of Engineering and the University. Since its launch, Baseline Controls has employed, including Barlow, 13 alumni:

• William Barringer – BSCE 2012
  • Lauren Bass – BAC 2013
  • Taylor Brasher – BSCE 2019
  • Mason Carper – BSME 2014
  • Raymond Carper – BSIE 2011
  • Jacob Green – BSIE 2019
  • Cameron Hanson – BSIE 2012
  • Jean-Philippe Lecorps – BSIE 2013
  • Julia Peters – BSIE 2021
  • Nikhil Singh – BSIE 2010, MGIM 2017
  • James Bryant Sprinkle – BSIE 2013
  • Ashley Tilley – BSIE 2021

“I am acknowledging my bias here, but I believe the ISE program at NC State provides the right foundation for being successful in our industry,” confirmed Barlow. “As I look to the future, I plan to continue engaging NC State for future talent. I also look forward to more opportunities to mentor those interested in building careers in project management.”

As a mentor to these young industrial and other engineers, Barlow shares the following advice. “Look for opportunities that offer a wide range of disciplines and a chance at learning from experienced professionals,” he said. “And then take those experiences as stepping stones to make big leaps.”

Despite the time and effort Barlow puts into growing his business and mentoring his team, he still makes sure there is time for his favorite young ones. “I still love Legos,” He exclaimed. “Today, I get to revisit some of these childhood memories with my two young daughters as we play with Legos together.”

As a mentor to these young industrial and other engineers, Barlow shares the following advice. “Look for opportunities that offer a wide range of disciplines and a chance at learning from experienced professionals,” he said. “And then take those experiences as stepping stones to make big leaps.”