Dr. Hong Wan is an Associate Professor at the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at NC State University. She also directs the ISE Blockchain Lab, co-directs the Smart Design Lab, and is affiliated with the SEED Center for Data Farming at the Naval Postgraduate School. Her Operations Research interests include design and analysis of computer simulation experiments, stochastic process, quality improvement, and quality control, applied statistical methods, and healthcare system engineering.
Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, Dec. 2004, advised by Professors Barry L. Nelson and Bruce Ankenman, Thesis Title: “Simulation factor screening with controlled sequential bifurcation”
MS in Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, June 2002
MS in Materials Science, Northwestern University, June 2001
BS in Chemistry, with a minor in Economics, Peking University, July 1998
2017 – Paper, “A literature review of preventable hospital readmissions: Preceding the Readmissions Reduction Act,” is featured in IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 6 (4)
2014 – Paper with Dadi Xing (Ph.D. Student) and Michael Yu Zhu won QSR Best Student Paper Finalist Award (2nd place)
2013 – INFORMS Military Application Society Koopman Prize
2007 – Paper with Kuohao Chang (former Ph.D. student), winner of 2007 I-Sim/ACM-SIGSIM Best Student Paper Awards
2005 – Pritsker Doctoral Dissertation Award, IIE, 3rd Place
2003 – Quality, Statistics, and Reliability Section Best Student Paper Award
2013 & 2014 – James H. Greene Outstanding Graduate Educator Award
- IE 330 Probability and Statistics in Engineering II
- IE 490 Introduction to Simulation
- IE 530 Quality Control
- IE 533 Industrial Application of Statistics
- IE 580 Systems Simulation
- IE 680 Advanced Simulation Experiment Design and Analysis
Current and Past Students
- Tian Ni, (co-advising with Prof Xiaowei Xu), Ph.D. candidate, working on quality management in the supply chain.
- Wenyu Wang, Ph.D. candidate, working on multi-response factors screening with parallel computing.
- Michael Garee, Ph.D. student (U.S. Air Force), working on advanced agent-based simulation.
- Liang Wang (co-advised with Prof. Barrett Caldwell) Ph.D. (2017). Dissertation title: “Modeling and Information Presentation in Healthcare Decision Making”
- Dadi Xing (co-advised with Prof. Yu Zhu.) Ph.D. (2016). Dissertation title: “Lasso-Optimal Supersaturated Design and Analysis for Factor Screening in Simulation Experiments”
- Wen-Hsin Feng, (co-advised with Prof. Nan Kong). Ph.D. (2011). Dissertation title: “Simulation-Based Analysis and Optimization on Recipient”. Prioritization for Cadaveric Liver Allocation.
- Anne McLaren, senior engineer at Cummins Inc, part-time Ph.D. (2011). Dissertation title: “A Method for Reliability Growth Analysis Combined Over Multiple Stages”
- Santanu Chakraborty (co-advised with Prof. Mark Lawley), Ph.D. (2010). Dissertation title: “Stochastic Scheduling Problems in Healthcare”
- Jonghyun Ryu (co-advised with Prof. Sujin Kims), Ph.D. (2010). Dissertation title: “Optimal Design of a CUSUM Chart for a Mean Shift of Unknown Size”
- Kuohao Chang, Ph.D. (2008), Associate Professor at National Tsing Hua University (Taiwan), received the 2007 INFORMS Bonder Scholarship in Military Operations Research. Dissertation title: “Stochastic Trust Region Response Surface Convergent Method for Continuous Simulation Optimization”
- Hua Shen, Ph.D. (2006). Currently working at Bank of America. Dissertation title: “Efficient Factor Screening in Simulation Experiments”
Masters Student (thesis-based)
- Xinqi Gao (Spring 2018), working on blockchain simulation and analysis
- Hui Tan, co-advised with Prof. Raghu Pasupathy, Department of Statistics, working on Adaptive Monte Carlo Sampling Gradient Method for Optimization.
- Fang Chen, working on data-driven risk analysis and simulation.
- Huiting Su, working on lasso-based optimal design and analysis for simulation experiments.
- Maria Vlachopoulou, co-advised with Prof. Feng Yang of West Virginia University (July 2010). Master’s thesis title: “Capacity Planning with Simulation Optimization”
- Abhijith Mukunda, co-advised with Prof. Kliein lIeleji, (January 2007), currently working at Capgemini US LLC. Master’s thesis title: “Simulation Modeling of Transportation Logistics of Corn Stover for Ethanol Conversion”
- “SEED Center for Data Farming, Naval Postgraduate School, “Lasso-based supersaturated Design and Analysis for Simulation Experiments”, PI: Hong Wan, 08/15/2016-12/31/2017.
- “Cancer care engineering: simulation study of colonoscopy screening strategies”, Cancer Care Engineering, Discovery Park and Indiana University, PI: Hong Wan, 05/01/2012 – 08/31/2013.
- “Collaborative Research: Optimal Sampling Plans in Supply Chains with Endogenous Product Quality”, National Science Foundation, Aug. 31, 2010 – July 31st, 2013. PI: Hong Wan, in collaboration with Prof. Xiaowei Xu, Department of Supply Chain Management and Marketing Sciences, Rutgers University.
- “Developing Systems Engineering Experience Accelerator Prototype and Roadmap”, Stevens Institute of Technology, May 14, 2010-April 30, 2011. PI: William R. Watson, Co-PIs: Danie DeLaurentis, Nicoletta Adamo-Villani, and Hong Wan.
- “Reducing Preventative Hospital Readmission”, Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, April 19, 2010-May 31, 2010. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Exploration of Efficient Design of Experiments for Stochastic Simulation”, SEED Center for Data Farming, Naval Postgraduate School. September 10, 2009-December 31, 2010. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Efficient Experimental Design Tools for POW-ER Tools”, Center for Edge Power, Naval Postgraduate School, September 28, 2007-March 30, 2009. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Research for Preparing a Large toward a New Theory of Reliability Design for Significant Reduction of Inspection Cost for Safety-Critical Systems”, Purdue Research Foundation, Purdue University, June 1, 2007-May 31, 2009. PI: Hong Wan, Co-PI: Richard Liu.
- “Efficient Hybrid Factor Screening Procedures for Stochastic Simulation”, Purdue Research Foundation, Purdue University. Summer 2007. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Data Farming for Test Planning”, SEED Center for Data Farming, Naval Postgraduate School, May 1, 2007-March 31, 2008. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Exploring Edge Organization Models For Network-Centric Operations”, Center for Edge Power, Naval Postgraduate School, November 11, 2005-October 30, 2006. PI: Hong Wan. Subcontractor: Referentia Systems, Inc.
- “Simulation Factor Screening: Method Development and Applications”, Purdue Research Foundation Research Grant, Purdue University, July 1, 2005-June 30, 2006. PI: Hong Wan.
- “Core Program Research with the Indiana University Medical Group on Patient Flow and Scheduling”, Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, Purdue University. March, 2005-May 2006. PI: Ronald. Rardin, Co-PIs: Kumar Muthuraman, Leyla Ozsen, Julie Ann Stuart, and Hong Wan.