- Partners & Outreach
Adjunct ProfessorE-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD, North Carolina State University, 2010
MA, Duke University, 2006
MIE, Texas A&M University, 2004
BS, North Carolina State University, 2001
Anita Vila-Parrish is the Director of Undergraduate Programs in the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering. Previously, she worked at Dell Computers in Austin, TX as a New Product Operations Engineer. In that role she was involved in many global product launches of their notebook computers as well as extensive international travel to support development activities. During that time she received a Masters in Industrial Engineering at Texas A&M University. In 2008, she was awarded the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) dissertation grant which focused on inventory management of pharmaceuticals and patient demand modeling and in 2010 she earned her PhD in ISE from NCSU. Currently, Dr. Vila-Parrish is teaching and coordinating the senior design project course as well as advising the ISE undergraduates.
Areas of Interest
Related to her teaching and advising she is interested in research engineering education topics including project-based learning in engineering design and global preparedness. Dr. Vila-Parrish continues research in inventory and production strategies for perishable products and those with short product lifecycles.
- Outstanding New Advisor Certificate of Merit (Faculty Academic Advising category) from the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA), 1 of 3 awarded nationally (2012)
- NC State New Faculty Advisor Award (2011-2012)
- IIE Mid-Atlantic Region Outstanding Chapter Advisor (2011 – 2012)
- Craig Reamer, A., Ivy, J.S., Vila-Parrish A.R., & Young, R. (2015). Understanding the evolution of mathematics performance in primary education and the implications for STEM learning: A Markovian approach. Computers in Human Behavior, 47 , 4-17. online version.
- Vila-Parrish A.R., Ivy, J.S., King, R.E., & Abel. S. (2012). Patient-based pharmaceutical inventory management - A two-stage inventory and production model for perishable products with Markovian Demand. Health Systems, 1 (1), 69-83.
- Vila-Parrish, A.R., & Raubenheimer, D. (2012). Integrating project management & Lean-Six Sigma methodologies in an industrial engineering capstone course. Proceedings of the 2012 American Society of Engineering Education Conference (Best Paper Award, Industrial Engineering Division).
- Vila-Parrish, A.R., & Ivy, J.S. (2012). Managing supply critical to patient care: An introduction to hospital inventory management for pharmaceuticals. Handbook of Healthcare Operations Management: Methods and Applications, (Forthcoming).
- Vila-Parrish, A.R., Ivy, J.S., King, R.E. (2008). A simulation-based approach for inventory modeling of perishable pharmaceuticals. Proceedings - Winter Simulation Conference, 1532-1538.