- Partners & Outreach
Assistant ProfessorOffice phone: (919) 515-6416
Office fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: 408 Daniels Hall
Ph.D., Pennsylvania State University, 2011
M.S., Pennsylvania State University, 2007
B.S., University of Mumbai, 2005
Rohan Shirwaiker is an Assistant Professor in ISE, and a part of the Advanced Manufacturing and Biomedical Manufacturing faculty groups. He is also an associate faculty of the UNC-NCSU Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering and a member of the Center for Additive Manufacturing and Logistics (CAMAL), the Comparative Medicine Institute (CMI), and the Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering Institute (IMSEI).
Dr. Shirwaiker’s work focuses on the design and manufacturing of implantable and tissue engineered medical products. His group collaborates with surgeons, biologists and other engineers to create and advance medical product technologies to address musculoskeletal clinical needs that currently lack appropriate alternatives. His current research projects focus on the investigation of material-process-structure-function interactions in the 3D-biofabrication of the knee joint and tracheal tissue constructs using polymer and hydrogel biomaterials. He has served as a PI/Co-PI on 13 funded research projects, and has published 18 journal articles, 57 conference proceedings, and 1 US patent in the field. He has advised (including current) 3 PhD, 7 Masters and 6 BS students. He has been a recipient of multiple academic awards including the Society of Manufacturing Engineers’ (SME) Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (2016), Institute of Industrial Engineering’s (IIE) Manufacturing and Design Outstanding Young Investigator Award (2015), SME Distinguished Faculty Advisor Award (2014), and Best Young Investigator Research Poster Award at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)/Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) Musculoskeletal Infection Symposium (2014).
Dr. Shirwaiker teaches undergraduate and graduate ISE courses related to design and manufacturing, including ISE 316 (Manufacturing Engineering I: Processes), ISE 498 (Senior Design Project), ISE 589 (Intro to Biomedical Design and Manufacturing), and ISE 714 (Product Manufacturing for Medical Device Industry). He serves as the faculty advisor to the NC State student chapter of SME.
For additional information about Dr. Shirwaiker’s research and teaching activities, visit his research group website.
Areas of Interest
3D-biofabrication, Tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, antimicrobial implants
- Narayanan, L. K., Kumar, A., Tan, Z., Bernacki, S., Starly, B., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2015). Alginate micro-spheroid encapsulation and delivery of MG-63 cells into PCL scaffolds: A new biofabrication approach for tissue engineering constructs. ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, 6(2): 021006. online version.
- Cavanaugh, D. L., Tan, Z., Norris IV, J. P., Hardee, A., Weinhold, P. S., Dahners, L. E., Orndorff, P. E., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2015). Evaluation of silver-titanium implants activated by low intensity direct current for orthopaedic infection control: an in vitro and in vivo study. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials. ePub ahead of print. online version.
- Shirwaiker, R. A., Springer, B. D., Spangehl, M. J., Garrigues, G. E., Lowenberg, D. W., Garras, D. N., Yoo, J. U., & Pottinger, P. S. (2015). A clinical perspective on musculoskeletal infection treatment strategies and challenges. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Musculoskeletal Infections Supplement), 23: S44 – S54. online version.
- Sheshadri, P., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2015). Characterization of material-process-structure interactions in the 3D-bioplotting of polycaprolactone. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, 2(1). 20-31. online version.
- Tan, Z., Ganapathy A., Orndorff, P., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2015). Effects of cathode design parameters on in vitro antimicrobial efficacy of electrically-activated silver-based iontophoretic system. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 26(1):5382. 1-10. online version.
- Hunsberger, J., Harrysson, O., Shirwaiker, R. A., Starly, B., Wysk, R., Cohen, P., Allickson, J., Yoo, J., & Atala, A. (2015). Manufacturing roadmap for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine technologies. Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 4:1-6. DOI: 10.5966/sctm.2014-0254. online version.