- Partners & Outreach
Assistant ProfessorOffice phone: (919) 515-6416
Office fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: 408 Daniels Hall
PhD, Pennsylvania State University, 2011
MS, Pennsylvania State University, 2007
BS, University of Mumbai, 2005
Rohan Shirwaiker joined the ISE Department at NC State University in 2011 as a part of their Biomedical Manufacturing and Manufacturing Systems faculty groups. Dr. Shirwaiker is also an associate faculty of the UNC-NCSU Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering and the NCSU Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering Institute. He teaches courses related to design and manufacturing. His research interests and activities are in the area of medical device engineering, with a special focus in product and process development for medical implants and biomanufacturing processes. His current research projects focus on: (a) development of antimicrobial surface coatings for orthopaedic implants, (b) design of regenerative medicine manufacturing systems, and (c) process engineering for 3D cell and direct organ printing. Dr. Shirwaiker is also the new faculty advisor to the NC State student chapter of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
For additional information about Dr. Shirwaiker including curriculum vitae, recent publications and research, click here.
Areas of Interest
Antimicrobial coatings, design for infection control, regenerative medicine manufacturing (RMM), direct organ printing and micro/nano-scale fabrication
- Shirwaiker, R. A., Samberg, M. E., Cohen, P. H., & Monteiro-Riviere, N. A. (2013). Nanomaterials and synergistic low-intensity direct current (LIDC) stimulation technology for orthopedic implantable medical devices. WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology. Online version.
- Samberg, M. E., Tan, Z., Monteiro-Riviere, N. A., Orndorff, P. E., & Shirwaiker, R. A. (2012). Biocompatibility analysis of an electrically-activated silver-based antibacterial surface system for medical device applications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. Online version.
- Purser, M.F., Wysk, R.A., Shirwaiker, R.A., Harrysson, O., Cohen, P.H., Jackson, J.D., Lee, S.J., & Atala, A. J. (2012). Regenerative medicine manufacturing – A systems engineering perspective. TutORials in Operations Research, 50-58. Online version.
- Shirwaiker, R.A., Wysk, R.A., Kariyawasam, S., Carrion, H., & Voigt, R.C. (2011) Micro-scale fabrication and characterization of a silver-polymer based electrically activated antibacterial surface. Biofabrication, 3 (1), 015003. Online version.
- Shirwaiker, R.A., & Okudan, G.E. (2011). Contributions of TRIZ and axiomatic design to leanness in design: an investigation. Procedia Engineering, 9, 730-735. Online version.
- Wysk, R.A., Sebastianelli, W.J., Shirwaiker, R.A., Bailey, G.M., Charumani, C., Kennett, M., Kaucher, A., Abrahams, R., Fuller, T.A., Royer, P., Voigt, R.C. & Cohen, P.H. (2010). Prophylactic bactericidal orthopedic implants – animal testing study. Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, 3 (9), 917-926. Online version.