- Partners & Outreach
Director of Graduate ProgramsOffice phone: (919) 515-6417
Office fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: 436 Daniels Hall
PhD, University of Michigan, 1979
MS, University of Michigan, 1976
BSIE, Sharif (formerly Arya-Mehr) University of Technology, 1972
Yahya Fathi has been a professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at North Carolina State University since 1984. Previously, he was an assistant professor of IE at Georgia Tech and at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Dr. Fathi received the NC State University Outstanding Teacher Award in 1999, and he is a member INFORMS, IIE, Omega Rho, and Sigma Xi.
Areas of Interest
Linear and nonlinear programming, integer programming, exact and inexact methods in discrete optimization, with applications in cutting and packing, data mining, cluster analysis, data base management systems, production planning and scheduling, logistics, and quality engineering.
- Fatemeh Sayyady and Yahya Fathi, "An integer Programming Approach to the p-dispersion problem", European Journal of Operational Research 253 (2016) 216-225.
- Fatemeh Sayyady, Golbarg K. Tutunchi, and Yahya Fathi, "p-median and p-dispersion problems: a bi-criteria analysis", Computers & Operations Research 61 (2015) 46-55.
- Shirzadeh Chalestari, Ali, Sahram Shadrokh, Yahya Fathi, "Branch and Bound Algorithms for Resource Constrained Project Scheduling Problem Subject to Nonrenewable Resources with Pre-scheduled Procurement", Mathematical Problem in Engineering, Volume 2014 (2014) 1-15.
- Huang, Rong, R. Chirkova, Y. Fathi, “"Two-stage stochastic view selection for data-analysis queries”", Proceedings of the 16th East-European Conference on Advances in Database and Information Systems, ADBIS 2012, AISC 186, T. Morzy et al. (Eds.), pp. 115-123, 2013.
- Fatemeh Sayyady, Yahya Fathi, George F. List, and John R. Stone, "Locating Weight-In-Motion sensors on a traffic highway network", Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 2013.
- Zohreh Asgharzadeh, Rada Chirkova, Yahya Fathi, "An integer programming approach to the view and index selection problem", Data & Knowledge Engineering 83 (2013) 111-125.
- Yahya Fathi and Kiavash Kianfar, "An efficient model for the crosscut optimization problem in a wood processing mill", International Journal of Production Research 50 No. 2 (2012) 485-497.
- Liu, Zhe, Yahya Fathi, "The nearest point problem in a polyhedral set and its extensions", Computational Optimization and Applications (2012) 53:115-130.
- Akhavan-Tabatabaei, Raha, Yahya Fathi, J. George Shanthikumar, "A Markov Chain Framework for Approximation of Cycle Time in Semiconductor Manufacturing Toolsets", IEEE Transactions on semiconductor manufacturing, 25, No. 4 (November 2012) 589-597.
- Huang, Rong, R. Chirkova, Y. Fathi, "Deterministic view selection for data analysis queries: properties and algorithms", Proceedings of 16th East-European Conference on Advances in Database and Information Systems, ADBIS 2012,LNCS 7503, T. Morzy, T. Haerder, and R. Wrembel (Eds.), pp. 195-208, 2012.
- Liu, Zhe, Yahya Fathi, "The nearest point problem in a polyhedral cone", Computational Optimization and Applications 49 (2011) 435-456.
- Kefeli, Ali, Reha Uzsoy, Yahya Fathi, Michael Kay, "Using a mathematical programming model to examine the marginal price of capacitated resources”", International Journal of Production Economics 131 (2011) 383-391.
- Kianfar, Kiavash, and Y. Fathi, "Generating facets for finite master cyclic group polyhedron using n-step mixed integer rounding functions", European Journal of Operational Research 207 (2010) 105-109.
- Shanae D. Allen, Yahya Fathi, and K. Gross, "An optimal and near optimal strategy to select individuals for transfer in conservation programs", Biological Conservation 143, No. 11 (2010) 2858-2863.
- Zohreh Asgharzadeh, Rada Chirkova, Yahya Fathi, "Exact and inexact methods for solving the problem of view selection for aggregate queries", International Journal of Business Intelligence and Data Mining (IJBIDM) 4 (2009) 391-415.
- Kianfar, Kiavash, and Y. Fathi, "Generalized mixed integer rounding valid inequalities: Facets for infinite group polyhedra", Mathematical Programming ser. A (2009) 120:313-346.
- Shona D. Morgan, and Yahya Fathi, "Algorithms for the q-model clustering problem with application in switching cabinet manufacturing", European Journal of Operational Research 189 (2008) 939-951.
- Girish Kulkarni and Yahya Fathi, "Integer programming models for the q-mode problem", European Journal of Operational Research 182 (2007), 612-625.
- Fathi, Y. and Chanwut Poonthanomsook, "A quartic quality loss function and its properties", Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering 1 (2007), 8-22.
- Girish Kulkarni and Yahya Fathi, "A VLSN search algorithm for the q-mode problem", IIE Transaction 39 (2007), 971-984.
- Lightner, Constance, Asad Tavakoli, and Yahya Fathi, “"Developing a mathematical model for locating facilities and vehicles to minimize response time", Journal of Applied Business Research, 22, No. 2 (2006), 17-24.
- Wardono, B., and Y. Fathi, "A tabu search algorithm for the multi-stage parallel machine problem with limited buffer capacities”", European Journal of Operational Research 155 (2004) 380-401.
- Fathi, Y., and Vural Aksakalli, "Heuristic Methods for Gang-Rip Saw Arbor Design and Scheduling", European Journal of Operational Research 154 (2004) 626-640.
- Morgan, S. D., Y. Fathi, and J. Taheri, "Algorithms for the model configuration problem", IIE Transactions 36 (2004) 169-180.
- Koksal, G., and Y. Fathi, "Statistical tolerancing using designed experiments in a noisy environment", Computers and Industrial Engineering 44 (2003) pp. 515-526.
- Fathi, Y., and Kim W. Barnette, "Heuristic procedures for the parallel machine problem with tool switches", International Journal of Production Research 40 (2002), pp. 151-164.
- ElDessouki, Wael M., Y. Fathi, and Nagui Rouphail, “"Meta-Optimization using Cellular Automata with application in solving the Combined Trip Distribution and Assignment System Optimal Problem", International Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 16 (6) (2001) pp. 384-398.
- Fathi, Y., and Daniel Palko, "A Mathematical Model and a Heuristic Procedure for the Robust Design Problem with High-Low Tolerances", IIE Transactions 33 (2001), pp. 1121-1127.
- Taylor, J. B., Andres L. Carrano, and Y. Fathi, "Parameter design and Optimization for a Nonlinear Precision X-Y Microstage", Journal of Manufacturing Systems 19 (2000), No. 4, pp. 229-238.
- Elmaghraby, S.E., Y. Fathi, and M.R. Taner, "On the sensitivity of project variability to activity mean duration", International Journal of Production Economics 62 (1999) pp. 219-232.
- Koksal, G., and Y. Fathi, "Design of economical noise array experiments for a partially controlled simulation environment", Computers and Industrial Engineering 35, Nos 3-4 (1998) pp. 555-558.
- Koksal, G., W.A. Smith, Y. Fathi, J-C Lu, and R. McGregor, "A case study in off-line quality control: characterization and optimization of batch dyeing process design", International Journal of Technology Management 16, Nos 4/5/6 (1998) pp. 358-382.
- Mittal, R.O. and Y. Fathi, "Application of statistical tolerancing to manufacturing operations", Journal of Engineering Design and Automation 3 (1997), 299-304.
- Fathi, Y., “"A linear approximation model for the parameter design problem", European Journal of Operational Research 97 (1997), 561-570.
- Fathi, Y., R.O. Mittal, J.E. Cline, and P.M. Martin, "Alternative manufacturing sequences and tolerance buildup: a point of view and a case study", International Journal of Production Research 35, No. 1 (1997), 123-136.
- Fathi, Y., S.R. Kegler, and C.T. Culbreth, "A Column Generation Procedure for Gang-Rip Saw Arbor Design and Scheduling", International Journal of Production Research 34, No. 2 (1996), 313-327.
- Brown, E.C., Y. Fathi, and R.S. Sowell, “Linear Programming Applied to an Agricultural Transportation Problem”, J. of Applied Engineering in Agriculture 12, No. 1 (1996), 105-110.
- Culbreth, C Thomas, and Yahya Fathi, "Gang-Rip Saw Arbor Design", Journal of Wood and Wood Products 98, No. 2 (1993) 113-118.
- Fathi, Y., and Krishna K. Ginjupalli, "A Mathematical Model and a Heuristic Procedure for the Turbine Balancing Problem", European Journal of Operational Research 65 (1993) 336-342.
- Fathi, Y., "SQVAM: A Variance Minimizing Algorithm", Operations Research Letters 10, No. 8 (1992), 461-466.