- Partners & Outreach
Brian T. Denton
Office phone: (919) 513-1690
Office Fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: Daniels 376
Fitts Faculty Fellow
Ph.D., Management Science, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2001
M.Sc., Physics, York University, Toronto, ON, Canada, 1996
B.Sc., Chemistry and Physics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 1994
Brian Denton is an Associate Professor and Edward P. Fitts Faculty Fellow at North Carolina State University in the Edward P. Fitts Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering. He also holds a Fellowship at the Cecil Sheps Health Services Research Center at University of North Carolina. Previously he has been a Senior Associate Consultant at Mayo Clinic in the College of Medicine, and a Senior Engineer at IBM. He has won the NSF CAREER Award (2009), INFORMS Service Section Best Paper Award (2010), INFORMS Daniel H. Wagner Prize (2005), Institute of Industrial Engineers Outstanding Publication Award (2005), and the Canadian Operations Research Society Best Paper Award (2000). He has served as President of the INFORMS Health Applications Section and Chair of the Franz Edelman Award Committee. He has co-authored more than twenty-five journal articles, conference proceedings, and book chapters, and he holds 16 patents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Areas of Interest
Dr. Denton's primary research interests are in computational optimization under uncertainty. His current application areas of interest include health care delivery, and medical decision making related to the detection, treatment, and prevention of disease.
- Batun, S., Denton, B.T., Huschka, T.R., Schaefer, A.J., "The Benefit of Pooling Operating Rooms Under Uncertainty," INFORMS Journal on Computing (in press), 2009
- Gupta, Diwakar, Denton, Brian T., "Appointment scheduling in health care: Challenges and opportunities", IIE Transactions (Institute of Industrial Engineers), September 2008, v 40, n 9, p 800-819.
- Berg, B., Denton, B.T., Nelson, H., Balasubramanian, B., Rahman, A., Bailey, A., Lindor, K., "A Computer Simulation Model to Evaluate Operational Performance of a Colonoscopy Suite," Medical Decision Making (in press), November 2009
- Denton, B.T., Miller, A., Balasubramanian, H., Huschka, T. "Optimal Allocation of Surgery Blocks to Operating Rooms Under Uncertainty," Operations Research, 2010, 58(4), 802-816
- DeLergio, S., Denton, B.T., Cabanela, R.L., Anderson, S.S., Bruggeman, S.K., Ward, S.L., Groves, N., Osborn, J. "Forecasting Outpatient Visits to Improve Patient Access at a Large Medical Center," Journal of Production and Inventory Management (in press), November 2008
- Denton, B.T., Kurt, M., Shah, N.D., Bryant, S.C., Smith, S.A., "A Markov Decision Process for Optimizing the Start Time of Statin Therapy for Patients with Diabetes," Medical Decision Making, 29(3), 351-367), December 2006
- Gupta D, Denton, B.T. "Health Care Appointment Systems: Challenges and Opportunities," IIE Transactions, 40, 800-819, 2008
- Denton, B.T., Viapiano, J., Vogl, A., "Stochastic Optimization of Surgery Sequencing and Start Time Scheduling Decisions," Health Care Management Science, 10(1), 13-24, 2007