- Partners & Outreach
Paul H. Cohen
Edgar S. Woolard Distinguished ProfessorOffice phone: (919) 513-2857
Office fax: (919) 515-1543
Office location: 400-B Daniels Hall
PhD, Ohio State University, 1982
MS, Ohio State University
BS, University of Rhode Island
Paul Cohen received his BS degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of Rhode Island and MS and Ph.D. degrees in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Ohio State University. He has also worked industrially at Battelle Memorial Institute and the Wanskuck Co. performing metalworking research. His work has focused on the modeling of plastic deformation processes, development of new tooling materials and tribology. His more recent research has examined properties and processes at the nano-scale. He has served in leadership roles in industry-based university research centers, published over 100 papers and served in editorial positions for leading journals. He has won numerous awards from the Institute of Industrial Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, American Society for Engineering Education and National Science Foundation.
Areas of Interest
Dr. Cohen's interests include multi-scale materials processing and biomedical manufacturing.
- Zhang, L., Dong, J., & Cohen, P.H. (2013). Material-Insensitive Feature Depth Control and Machining Force Reduction by Ultrasonic Vibration in AFM-Based Nanomachining IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, 12 (5), 743-750
- Shirwaiker, R. A., Samberg, M. E., Cohen, P. H., & Monteiro-Riviere, N. A. (2013). Nanomaterials and synergistic low-intensity direct current (LIDC) stimulation technology for orthopedic implantable medical devices. WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology.
- Purser, M.F., Wysk, R.A., Shirwaiker, R.A., Harrysson, O., Cohen, P.H., Jackson, J.D., Lee, S.J., & Atala, A. J. (2012). Regenerative medicine manufacturing – A systems engineering perspective. TutORials in Operations Research, 50-58.
- Wysk, R.A., Sebastianelli, W.J., Shirwaiker, R.A., Bailey, G.M., Charumani, C., Kennett, M., Kaucher, A., Abrahams, R., Fuller, T.A., Royer, P., Voigt, R.C. & Cohen, P.H. (2010). Prophylactic bactericidal orthopedic implants – animal testing study. Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, 3 (9), 917-926.
- Lovell, M, Cohen, P.H., Mendezesm P., & Shankar, R. (2009). Tribological Characterization of Machining at Very Small Contact Areas. Tribol, 131 (4).
- Samayoa, M.J., Haque, M.A., & Cohen, P.H. (2008). Focused ion beam irradiation effects on nanoscale freestanding thin films. Micromech. Microeng., 18 095005.
- Kamarthi, S.V., Kumara, S., & Cohen, P.H. (2000). Flank Wear Estimation in Turning Through Wavelet Representation of Acoustic Emission Signals. Manuf. Sci. Eng, 122 (1), 12-19 (Oct 01, 1997).