- Partners & Outreach
Walter Clark Chair Professor
University Alumni Distinguished Graduate ProfessorOffice phone: (919) 515-2192
Office fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: 450 Daniels Hall
PhD, Northwestern University, 1979
MS, Johns Hopkins University, 1977
BS, National Tsing Hua University Taiwan, 1974
Shu-Cherng Fang is also Honorary Chair Professor of Tsinghua University in Beijing, Fudan University in Shanghai, Northeastern University in Shenyang, Shanghai University in Shanghai, National Chiao Tung University and National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan. Before joining NC State, Professor Fang was Senior Member of Research Staff at Western Electric Engineering Research Center, Supervisor at AT&T Bell Labs, and Department Manager at the Corporate Headquarters of AT&T Technologies.
Shu-Cherng has published over one hundred fifty refereed journal articles. He authored the books, Linear Optimization and Extensions: Theory and Algorithms (Prentice Hall 1993, with S. C. Puthenpura) and Entropy Optimization and Mathematical Programming (Kluwer Academic 1997, with J.R. Rajasekera and H.-S. Tsao). He currently serves on the editorial board of twenty two scientific journals, including Optimization, Journal of Global Optimization, Optimization Letters, Pacific Journal of Optimization, Journal of Management and Industrial Optimization, Journal of Operations and Logistics, International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, International Journal of Operations Research, OR Transactions, Journal of Uncertainties, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Iranian Journal of Fuzzy Systems and Journal of Chinese Institute of Industrial Engineers. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making.
Since his start in 1988, Professor Fang has graduated more than forty PhD students at NC State. He has won many awards and has been listed in several major biographic references. He was elected to Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers in 2002.
For additional information about Dr. Fang, including awards & honors, professional activities & experience, recent publications, and research grants, click here.
Areas of Interest
Linear and nonlinear programming, fuzzy optimization and decision making, soft computing and Heuristic methods, logistics and supply chain management, telecommunication networks and L1 splines.
- Fang, S-C., & Zhang, B. (2011). A selfish routing based network improvement problem. Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 24, 1-11.
- Fang, S-C., & Hu, C.F. (2011). Set covering-based surrogate approach for solving Sup-T equation constrained optimization problems. Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, 10, 125-152.
- Fang, S-C., & Li, P. (2011). On the unique solvability of fuzzy relational equations with max-min composition. Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, 10, 115-124.
- Fang, S-C., Lertworasirikul, S., & Charnesethikul, P. (2011). Inverse data envelopment analysis model to preserve relative efficiency values: The case of variable returns to scale. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 61, 1017-1023.
- Fang, S-C., Lu, C., Jin, Q., Wang, Z., & Xing, W. (2011). KKT solution and conical relaxation for solving quadratically constrained quadratic programming problems. SIAM Journal of Optimization, 21, 1475-1490.
- Fang, S-C., Chao, C.W., & Liao, C.J. (2012). A tropical cyclone based method for global optimization. Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, 8, 103-115.
- Fang, S-C., & Adivar, M. (2012). Convex optimization on mix domains. Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, 8, 189-227.
- Fang, S-C., Xing, W., Sheu, R-L., & Wang, T. (2012). A canonical dual approach for solving linearly constrained quadratic programs. European Journal of Operational Research, 218, 21-27.
- Fang, S-C., Yuan, Y-B., & Gao, D.Y. (2012). Solutions to a class of quadrinomial minimization problems with one quadratic constraint. Journal of Global Optimization, 52, 195-209.
- Fang, S-C., Jin, L., Yu, J., & Lavery, E. (2012). Univariate cubic L1 interpolating splines based on the first derivative and on 5-point windows: Analysis, algorithm and shape-preserving properties. Computational Optimization and Applications, 51, 575-600.
- Fang, S-C., & Hu, C.F. (2012). Randomly generated test problems for fuzzy relational equations. Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, 11, 1-28.