- Partners & Outreach
Walter Clark Chair Professor
University Alumni Distinguished Graduate ProfessorOffice phone: (919) 515-2192
Office fax: (919) 515-5281
Office location: 450 Daniels Hall
PhD, Northwestern University, 1979
MS, Johns Hopkins University, 1977
BS, National Tsing Hua University Taiwan, 1974
Shu-Cherng Fang has been appointed as the University Chair Professor of Tsinghua University (Beijing), Honorary University Professor of Northeast University (Shenyang), Honorary University Professor of Shanghai University (Shanghai), Honorary University Professor of Fudan University (Shanghai), Graduate University Advisory Professor of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Beijing), Honorary University Chair Professor of the National Chiao Tung University (Taiwan) and Honorary IEEM Chair Professor of the National Tsinghua University (Taiwan). Before joining NC State, Professor Fang was Senior Member of Research Staff at Western Electric Engineering Research Center, Supervisor at AT&T Bell Labs, and Department Manager at the Corporate Headquarters of AT&T Technologies.
Professor Fang has published over two hundred refereed journal articles. He authored the books of Linear Optimization and Extensions: Theory and Algorithms (Prentice Hall 1993, with S. C. Puthenpura), Entropy Optimization and Mathematical Programming (Kluwer Academic 1997, with J.R. Rajasekera and H.-S. Tsao) and Linear Conic Optimization (Science Press 2013, with Wenxun Xing). He currently serves on the editorial boards of several scientific journals, including Optimization, Journal of Global Optimization, Optimization Letters, Pacific Journal of Optimization, Journal of Management and Industrial Optimization, Annals of Data Science, Systems Engineering – Theory and Practice, Journal of Systems Science and Information, Journal of Operations and Logistics, International Journal of Decision Support Systems, Chinese Journal of Management Science, Journal of Uncertainties, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Iranian Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Fuzzy Information and Engineering, OR Transactions and Journal of the Operations Research Society of China. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making.
Professor Fang has won many awards and has been listed in several major biographic references. He was elected to Fellow of the Institute of Industrial Engineers in 2002.
Areas of Interest
Linear and nonlinear programming, fuzzy optimization and decision making, soft computing and heuristic methods, logistics and supply chain management, telecommunication networks and L1 splines.
- Deng, Z., Fang, S.-C., Jin, Q., $amp; Lu, C. (2015). Conic Approximation to Nonconvex Quadratic Programming with Convex Quadratic Constraints. Journal of Global Optimization, 61, 459-478.
- C. Hu, C., Murat, M., and Fang, S.-C. (2014). Non-L-R Type Fuzzy Parameters in Mathematical Programming Problems. IEEE Transaction on Fuzzy Systems, 22, 1062-1073.
- Lu, C., Fang, S.-C., Jin, Q., & Xing, W. (2014). Adaptive Computable Approximation to Cones of Nonnegative Quadratic Functions. Optimization, 63, 955-980.
- Guo, X., Fang, S.-C., Deng, Z., Wang, Z., & Xing, W. (2014). Quadratic Optimization over A Second-Order Cone with Linear Equality Constraints. Journal of Operations Research Society of China, 2, 17-38.
- Huang, Y. H., Li, H. L., & Fang, S.-C. (2013). A Logarithmic Method for Reducing Binary Variables and Inequality Constraints in Solving Task Assignment Problems. INFORMS Journal of Computing, 25, 643-653.
- Chen, Y. C., Fang, S.-C., & Wen, U.-P. (2013). Pricing Policies for Substitutable Products in a Supply Chain with Internet and Traditional Channels. European Journal of Operational Research, 224, 542-551.
- Jiang, Z. Z., Fang, S.-C., Fan, Z.P., & Wang, D. (2012). Selecting Optimal Selling Format of a Product in B2C Online Auctions with Boundedly Rational Customers. European Journal of Operational Research, 226, 139-153.
- Deng, Z., Fang, S.-C., Jin, Q. & Xing, W. (2013). Detecting Co-positivity of a Symmetric Matrix by an Adaptive Ellipsoid-based Approximation Scheme. European Journal of Operational Research, 229, 21-28.
- Xing, W., Fang, S.-C., Sheu, R., & Wang, Z. (2012). A Canonical Dual Approach for Solving Linearly Constrained Quadratic Programs. European Journal of Operational Research, 218, 21-27.
- Lu, C., Fang, S.-C., Jin, Q., Wang, Z. & Xing, W. (2011). KKT Solution and Conic Relaxation for Solving Quadratically Constrained Quadratic Programming Problems. SIAM Journal of Optimization, 21, 1475- 1490.